Pile o' shark teeth and other fossils

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Pulled out a box of teeth and fossils so I could send a few of them to the nephew. Thought I'd take some photo's and post them. Particularly the first picture has some of the oddity finds. I think a few of them are dolphin teeth but I really don't know. Any thoughts on any of the photo's are greatly appreciated. These all came off the Chesapeake bay in 2012-2013. Found between myself, the wife and the boys (4 & 6 at the time).

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_4335.JPG
    IMG_4335.JPG
    778.5 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_4331.JPG
    IMG_4331.JPG
    995.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_4332.JPG
    IMG_4332.JPG
    824.5 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_4337.JPG
    IMG_4337.JPG
    916.7 KB · Views: 120
OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
some more pics

Attachments

• IMG_4334.JPG
    IMG_4334.JPG
    907.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_4336.JPG
    IMG_4336.JPG
    850.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_4333.JPG
    IMG_4333.JPG
    794 KB · Views: 104

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
nice assortment of fossils. With the first photo, top from left to right the first three look like inner ear bones of a dolphin. then there is a cow shark tooth and a nice one at that, the last fossil on the top row looks to me like a canine?? molar.
you have some vertebrae in there, porpoise teeth and a partial sting ray plate.

Second photo shows a nice mix of teeth from Hemipristis Serra, Goblin, Bull, Lemon, Tiger, and maybe even mako. Also some single smaller stingray plates.

Third photo has more hemi's, bulls, etc a nice megladon and a fragladon lol (fragmented piece of meg tooth8-))

Fourth photo is a bunch of broken bones, check them for feeding damage. Whenever I dive in the rivers, I always bring up the bone pieces, I look for the feeding damage. Damage = keep and no feeding damage = go back into the drink.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Mike - thanks for the feedback, super helpful. I knew the first couple pictures were something but never thought of ears bones. What do you think of the canine-ish molar? I figured it was a dolphin molar but maybe I'm an idiot and they don't have molars? My wife found the Megladon and the fragladon on the same day, and then proceeded to name the whole one Nemo. I believe some of the bones have feeding marks on them. I'll need to get them back out to verify. Thanks again for the help.

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
Twitch, I ma not sure what the molar is from, at first I thought wolf and then realized the quarter for size and know that is not the case. So I was thinking, maybe something like fox, feline or raccoon. I wish Harry Pristis would comment on this, I bet he knows what it is.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Mike - I assumed that molar was from a dolphin or something but I have no idea if that's what it would look like.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Twitch, nice collection! The "molar" in question is, I believe, a squalodon tooth. Squalodon calvertensis was a long snouted whale that lived 33 to 14 million years ago. Nice find!

Ninjafossils

Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I need to see some better pictures of the needle (closer up and with multiple angles), but I think it might be a catfish barb
CatfishSpine_zps1bba56a6.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread