Old find from a while back.

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on a metal detecting hunt around central Florida, back in 2009 and found this whole fossilized turtle shell trapped in a limestone boulder on the edge of a field. I don't think there was a fossil section back then here, or maybe there was. Either way thought I'd re-share my original post which is here...
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/fossils/111140-complete-fossilized-turtle-found.html

Crazy to find that while looking for old coins in a field that was being developed. Never know what you might find when hunting for stuff.

I still have this displayed on a shelf. A cool find I think. By the way from some research, I found out this is from the Pliocene era, and its basically a fosilized box turtle. One day, when I have a larger bank account, I'd like to get it professionally cleaned up and have the remaining linestone removed. I still wonder if more of the turtle could be trapped in part of the limstone covering the ends.

IMG_2732.JPG

Last edited:

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you ever decide to sell it, Please let me know. My daughter's { SPCA Veterinarian} nickname is Mud Turtle.

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
that is a very cool find indeed. Now me, because I cannot leave well enough alone...I would bust out my air scribes and clean the matrix off the turtle shell but just enough to see the detail of the shell better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread