Some fossil finds from my recent South Dakota trip

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings.

I thought I would share some fossil finds from a recent trip to South Dakota to collect rocks and fossils. It was a field trip organized by a rock shop. I did not find anything too great but it was fun to get out and find things that I would not normally find in my area.

Individual tooth and right jaw section are likely some type of Oreodont (sheep), left jaw section may be from a small deer-like animal (hypertragulid?). Left of the quarter some kind of gastropod (snail). I have not cleaned any of the bone fragments yet, a little gun shy until I read up on it as I know some bone is very sensitive to water.
Fossils-2017-SD-Trip-Img_5489SSS.jpg

It was quite the adventure. I can safely say this location was the furthest off the beaten path I have ever been. The drive out there took us through parkland where we saw many buffalo, prairie dogs, bighorn sheep, many deer and a coyote. Here is a pic to show the kind of area we were searching.
SD-BlackHillsArea-FossilHunt-2017-10-22-Img_5464SSS.jpg

It was a good time spent with good people. I hope you enjoy.

Happy hunting,
Eric

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
I would love to goo there and od some hunting. I have an Oreodont skull from there.

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to goo there and od some hunting. I have an Oreodont skull from there.

Interesting. Did you find the skull? No one found any complete skulls that I know of in our group this trip but it has happened before from what I gathered. Some people found turtle shell fossils and a few larger jaw sections were found one that might belong to some kind of ancient cat. I was a little bummed that I did not find any artifacts, which the site is known for (this was on private property and we did have permission). Still very glad I went and definitely plan to go next year if I am able.

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
Interesting. Did you find the skull? No one found any complete skulls that I know of in our group this trip but it has happened before from what I gathered. Some people found turtle shell fossils and a few larger jaw sections were found one that might belong to some kind of ancient cat. I was a little bummed that I did not find any artifacts, which the site is known for (this was on private property and we did have permission). Still very glad I went and definitely plan to go next year if I am able.

I wasn't the finder of the skull, I made some trades for it and it needs to be prepped before display. The teeth are brittle. it is the full skull and about 10-12" long? trying to remember but I could be off on that but not by much lol. I'll see if I can find the photos on my old phone. It is packed up and in storage at the moment along with most my collection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread