Are these from a dinosaur?

comerlulu

Greenie
Apr 27, 2007
I posted these on the "What is it?" forum. They seem to think that these are from a dinosaur's tummy? I thought maybe the "Fossils" forum may have even more information about them. I added a map of Missouri where they were found. Also, they were found all together in a group. Any input is appreciated !!

Thanks,
LuLu

Attachments

• missouri-map 2.GIF
    missouri-map 2.GIF
    45 KB · Views: 466
  • Potato Rocks 2 004.jpg
    Potato Rocks 2 004.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 466
  • Potato Rocks 002.jpg
    Potato Rocks 002.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 457
  • missouri-map 2.GIF
    missouri-map 2.GIF
    45 KB · Views: 472
  • Potato Rocks 2 004.jpg
    Potato Rocks 2 004.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 459
  • Potato Rocks 2 005.jpg
    Potato Rocks 2 005.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 464

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
You are correct in that where they were found is the key.
Below is a link to a geologic map of Missouri.
http://geology.about.com/gi/dynamic...http://members.socket.net/~joschaper/geo.html

You found them in the SW corner of the state in Mississippian age rocks which are too old for dinosaurs. The dark green in the SE corner of the state is Cretaceous age is only where in the state dinosaur material would be found.

So no they are not from dinosaurs.

George

OP
OP
C

comerlulu

Greenie
Apr 27, 2007
bakergeol said:
You are correct in that where they were found is the key.
Below is a link to a geologic map of Missouri.
http://geology.about.com/gi/dynamic...http://members.socket.net/~joschaper/geo.html

You found them in the SW corner of the state in Mississippian age rocks which are too old for dinosaurs. The dark green in the SE corner of the state is Cretaceous age is only where in the state dinosaur material would be found.

So no they are not from dinosaurs.

George

I don't quite understand?? How can there be a dinosaur in the boothill but not any in the SW? What I mean is, it's just a few hundred miles away, isn't it possible they could have wondered that far in their lifetime?? Why would the SE be the only place where material "would" be found, is it the only place it has been found to date? I'm sorry if I sound uneducated, it's because I am. ;D

Thanks for your help !
LuLu

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Ok
Here goes. Fossils(including dinosaur fossils) weather out from outcrops or rocks in any area. To determine the age of the fossil you have found check with a geologic map of your area. The geologic map of your state which I provided shows the ages of the rocks in your state. Dinosaurs lived in the Mesozoic Age which was 248 to 65 million years ago. The only portion of your state where dinosaur fossils could be found is in the SE section of your state where Cretaceous age rocks appear at the surface. All outcrops where you found the rounded stones are Mississippian in age with some very recent exceptions. These rocks are 323 to 354 million years old. Dinosaur fossils can never be found there as these rocks formed before dinosaurs appeared on the earth. It is of course possible that these stones are derived from glacier activity which in the geologic time scale is very recent.

The items are of course not fossils but rounded rocks which were probably shaped by stream erosion. I am not ruling out that these rocks where placed there by native Americans.

Gastroliths must be different from the surrounding rocks and must be found INSIDE a skeleton of a dinosaur before Geologists accept them as gastroliths.

George

Treasure Tom

Jun 22, 2007
Hi Lulu!

George has provided some good info. The strata of rock must be the same age as when dinosaurs were present and are usually sedimentary such as shale (mud) for fossil formation. The finer sediments usually result in better preservation and formation of any fossils. A location can have a variety of rock formations of different age groups. For example, you can have an outcrop of very ancient igneous (volcanic) rock and a few miles away an exposure of Cretaceous sedimentary strata.

Gastroliths are polished rocks which are usually found in the stomachs of plant eating dinosaurs or in some prehistoric marine reptiles. As George mentioned, they are usually found with the skeletons especially in the stomach/rib cage area. Gastroliths are rocks swallowed by animals usually to help grind down food and have become polished due the grinding action of the stomach. A lot of modern birds also swallow small stones to help break up seeds.

The best way to find fossil locations is to look up Geological Survey reports in your area. They usually record the type, age of strata, and any fossils found.

Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread