Some fossils I've picked up over the years...

StoneHunter

May 7, 2013
NoVa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow rock hunters!

Here are some pics of fossils I've personally collected over the past um-teen years. Along with the more interesting fossils, I've picked up thousands of shark teeth from various locations in Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and New Jersey. Enjoy!

20180717_093427.jpg
The one in the middle, found in the water at Ferry Farm, Va long before the no collecting signs went up, measures 3".

20180717_093655.jpg 20180717_093704.jpg
20180717_094434.jpg 20180717_094512.jpg
20180717_094527.jpg 20180717_094536.jpg

Stonesandbones

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice bunch of finds! That ray/skate plate is amazing. The bottom one, is that a puffer fish? I have found a few of those, but tiny, little fingernail sized.

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Collection.
The Stingray Plate is Amazing, ive found tons of them, but never all in one plate like that.
Very Nice!!!

OP
OP
S

StoneHunter

May 7, 2013
NoVa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bunch of finds! That ray/skate plate is amazing. The bottom one, is that a puffer fish? I have found a few of those, but tiny, little fingernail sized.

Hello Kray Gelder,
I believe it is a parrot fish mouth plate. I found it at Flag Ponds on the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland. You may have noticed the parrot fish teeth? The sand is full of them, just dig a hole by the surf and let the water wash them out! Thanks for looking!

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Kray Gelder,
I believe it is a parrot fish mouth plate. I found it at Flag Ponds on the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland. You may have noticed the parrot fish teeth? The sand is full of them, just dig a hole by the surf and let the water wash them out! Thanks for looking!

Right, parrot fish. Never looked for them in the sand. I'll try that next time at the beach. Thanks.

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right, parrot fish. Never looked for them in the sand. I'll try that next time at the beach. Thanks.

Kinda Ironic that the Teeth that make most of the sand, end up back in the sand... Circle of Life...

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice display, thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great display! I like the points as well!:thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

StoneHunter

May 7, 2013
NoVa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice fossils!

Thank you Shorewalker! I think the peccary teeth I found at Ferry farm (George Washington's boyhood home) are my favorites. They look like human molars!

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
Virginia & Collier Cty FL
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you Shorewalker! I think the peccary teeth I found at Ferry farm (George Washington's boyhood home) are my favorites. They look like human molars!

Ok, I had to look that one up. I've never been to Ferry Farm but drive by it fairly often. I go to spots further downstream for NA Artifacts. The Rappahannock had a good number of villages.

OP
OP
S

StoneHunter

May 7, 2013
NoVa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I had to look that one up. I've never been to Ferry Farm but drive by it fairly often. I go to spots further downstream for NA Artifacts. The Rappahannock had a good number of villages.

Do you remember History Land? It was a small store on the right hand side of Rt. 3 between Ferry Farm and Westmoreland. The guy who owned the store used it to display his absolutely amazing collection of fossils and NA artifacts. This guy grew up on the northern neck and had been collecting his whole life. He had over a dozen megladon teeth in the 5 and 6+ inch size! He also had whole sections of porpoise and crocodile jawbones complete with teeth. And the arrowheads, OMG the hundreds of PERFECT arrowheads he had on display! He was caught "helping" an underage girl working for him. The last I heard his family sold off his collection to help pay for the lawyer. Such a shame...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread