North Carolina Shark Tooth

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
Virginia & Collier Cty FL
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this on an island off Wrightsville Beach a couple of days ago. I was on vacation and not expecting to find a tooth but it was laying in the sand at the edge of the surf line. I don't find this particular type where I look in Virginia. Anyone know the type - great white??

fossil11.JPG

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, a fossilized example of an extinct line of the great white shark. Nice one!

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Yes, Megalodon, prehistoric Great White. There are MANY to be found while diving offshore of North Carolina.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice find.Hate to be bitten by that monster.

Ninjafossils

Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Op's tooth is a great white, not a Megalodon
meg-vs-great-white-tooth-700x329.jpg

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find! I agree with the others that this tooth is a Great White rather than a Megalodon. In most areas, the Great White teeth are less common than Megalodons. Estimated age 10-15M years old, Miocene.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! And that video is insane! I’d love to find those

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I have done that many, many times. Paleontologists calculate that for every inch of the prehistoric tooth, the shark was 10 ft long. 6 " tooth= 60 ft shark !!

Thanks for correcting me. For years, Megalodon WAS thought to be an ancestor to the Great White. So many people, including myself, still refer to them as the same.
Coastal Rivers of South Carolina have produced many of these teeth, but you need to be a very experienced diver to dive there. Offshore N.C. is where the video above was shot. You still need experience to dive there, but at least you have a lot more visibility.

https://www.fossilera.com/pages/megalodon

South Carolina river diving ;

Last edited:

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup very cool...i learned to dive when i was 13 just so i could dive the cooper river for sharks teeth.....good times

OP
OP
Shorewalker

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
Virginia & Collier Cty FL
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yup very cool...i learned to dive when i was 13 just so i could dive the cooper river for sharks teeth.....good times

I've been looking into lessons/certification and may do this in the Fall when I get to SWFL. Maybe dive off Venice Beach. I've always wanted to scuba dive. I'm already planning to hit the Peace River and screen for teeth. It does sound pretty picked-over though...

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Storms etc., are always uncovering more fossils. I remember many years ago, when people said that all the teeth were almost gone in Copper River. Diving at Venice is a MUCH safer dive than Cooper .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread