Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree18Likes
  • 7 Post By 1more4me
  • 2 Post By Kray Gelder
  • 2 Post By StoneHunter
  • 3 Post By rook3434
  • 1 Post By Megalodon
  • 1 Post By Inyo
  • 1 Post By Inyo
  • 1 Post By Inyo

Thread: Well... Poop...

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2011
    Louisiana
    White's V3i
    203 times

Well... Poop...

Yep, poop!
    Recently spent a while wandering the desert and came across these. Coprolite, not really a great petrification, a bit brittle- but no telling how long it has weathered. Was laid out on the ground like the beast just walked in front of me a few days ago...
    Big one is probably 45-50 pounds- smallest one is bigger than a softball. Looks as if they originally plopped into a soft bog or mud/silt - nice soft landing... (in pic, some are right side up, some are upside down,)
    After much research... it is probably Cenozoic, Paleogene, Oligocene epoch based on layer of dirt. Maybe 20 million years after KT event, 40 million years ago. Likely mammalian mega fauna like the freaky horned rhino or pre mastodon elephant. Lots of petrified wood around there as well. Need to get back shortly as there was dozens more around and no telling what other fossils may lay about!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	corpolite.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	1622138
    Kray Gelder, lairmo, T.C. and 4 others like this.
    HUNTING... Anyway, anytime, anyhow; Gold, deer, rocks and gems, turkey, arrowheads, fossils, coins, fish, new sunrises, etc, so forth, and so on...

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    3063 times
    Metal Detecting
    Well there's something you don't step in every day. Cool finds.
    1more4me and lairmo like this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

us
    May 2013
    NoVa
    Garrett Ace 250
    168 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Nice finds! I find many coprolites along the lower Potomac river, aquia formation. They are mainly crocodile and when viewed through a loop, you can see fish scales and bones!
    1more4me and Shorewalker like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    XP Deus
    6457 times
    I sometimes use a stool softener. Congrats on the poop find.
    lairmo, newnan man and 1more4me like this.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett Master Hunter 7
    188 times
    I liked to keep a couple of these on my desk at work. People stopping by my desk would invariably pick one up and ask about it. It was fun to watch their reactions. I sometimes gave them away so we could say that I gave them some crap.
    lairmo likes this.

Sep 2014
    87 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1more4me View Post

Yep, poop!
    Recently spent a while wandering the desert and came across these. Coprolite.
    Nope. Not coprolite. They're sedimentary concretionary developments; sometimes you can find paleontological material preserved within such concreitonary structures, of course.

My Paleontological (and guitar-playing) Web Sites
    gunsil likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    11814 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Holy moly poop that old
    Approved TreasureNet Bumper Stickers And Detector Stickers
    .:: $5.00 (Free Shipping) ::. $2.50 for small "1 x "4

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Sep 2014
    87 times
    Quote Originally Posted by A2coins View Post
    Holy moly poop that old
    Nope. Not fossil poop--AKA, coprolite. They're sedimentary-originated concretionary structures; sometimes you can find paleontological specimens preserved within such concreitonary material, of course.

gunsil likes this.

us
    Apr 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Minelab etrac, Whites MXT, Minelab Excalibur II, Tesoro Tejon
    78 times
    Now what would be cool is to find some coprolite with a foot and/or hoof print in it.

Sep 2014
    87 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroMike View Post
    Now what would be cool is to find some coprolite with a foot and/or hoof print in it.
    Interesting in a theoretical sense, perhaps.

But, original poster's specimens do not represent fossil poop--AKA, coprolite. They're sedimentary-originated concretionary structures; sometimes you can find paleontological remains preserved inside such concreitonary formations, of course.

gunsil likes this.

us
    Jul 2011
    Louisiana
    White's V3i
    203 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Inyo View Post
    Nope. Not coprolite. They're sedimentary concretionary developments; sometimes you can find paleontological material preserved within such concreitonary structures, of course.

Inyo, While I appreciate your repeated attempt to disagree- posting a broken link is not very helpful. If you could post a very similar picture of an example or a link to a reputable website explaining, describing, or classifying your assertion, it would be quite helpful.
    Now, please understand, I love debate, and your offered identification is compelling- But, I'll need more info on your assertion before I discount the shape, size, area found, content and matter that is fossilized within the specimens, and complete lack of any similar image on the internet anywhere, any way and any how by the name "
    sedimentary-originated concretionary structures"
    that even come minimally close to resembling these that I have.
    Thanks though...
    HUNTING... Anyway, anytime, anyhow; Gold, deer, rocks and gems, turkey, arrowheads, fossils, coins, fish, new sunrises, etc, so forth, and so on...

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    2200 times
    I agree, they are sedimentary concretions. I cut and polish stones (lapidary) and I have cut coprolite that is colorful but it is as hard as petrified wood and takes a good polish. The coprolite I have seen does not resemble modern poop as the concretions do. I have found similar ones to the OP in the desert and they break open quite easily and look pretty much the same on the inside. The coprolite I have cut is very hard and came from Utah.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

Sep 2014
    87 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1more4me View Post
    posting a broken link is not very helpful.
    The link worked when I originally posted it here, of course (September 28 and October 2, 2018). Your reply was on October 27, 2018.

On October 22, 2018, I removed all of my fossils-related (and music) web pages from the Net.
    Last edited by Inyo; Nov 08, 2018 at 09:25 AM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links