Well... Poop...

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Yep, poop!
Recently spent a while wandering the desert and came across these. Coprolite, not really a great petrification, a bit brittle- but no telling how long it has weathered. Was laid out on the ground like the beast just walked in front of me a few days ago...
Big one is probably 45-50 pounds- smallest one is bigger than a softball. Looks as if they originally plopped into a soft bog or mud/silt - nice soft landing... (in pic, some are right side up, some are upside down,)
After much research... it is probably Cenozoic, Paleogene, Oligocene epoch based on layer of dirt. Maybe 20 million years after KT event, 40 million years ago. Likely mammalian mega fauna like the freaky horned rhino or pre mastodon elephant. Lots of petrified wood around there as well. Need to get back shortly as there was dozens more around and no telling what other fossils may lay about!
corpolite.jpg

StoneHunter

May 7, 2013
NoVa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I find many coprolites along the lower Potomac river, aquia formation. They are mainly crocodile and when viewed through a loop, you can see fish scales and bones!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I sometimes use a stool softener. Congrats on the poop find.:icon_thumright:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked to keep a couple of these on my desk at work. People stopping by my desk would invariably pick one up and ask about it. It was fun to watch their reactions. I sometimes gave them away so we could say that I gave them some crap.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy moly poop that old

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
Now what would be cool is to find some coprolite with a foot and/or hoof print in it.

Inyo

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Now what would be cool is to find some coprolite with a foot and/or hoof print in it.

Interesting in a theoretical sense, perhaps.

But, original poster's specimens do not represent fossil poop--AKA, coprolite. They're sedimentary-originated concretionary structures; sometimes you can find paleontological remains preserved inside such concreitonary formations, of course.

My Paleontological (and guitar-playing) Web Sites

OP
OP
1more4me

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Nope. Not coprolite. They're sedimentary concretionary developments; sometimes you can find paleontological material preserved within such concreitonary structures, of course.

My Paleontological (and guitar-playing) Web Sites

Inyo, While I appreciate your repeated attempt to disagree- posting a broken link is not very helpful. If you could post a very similar picture of an example or a link to a reputable website explaining, describing, or classifying your assertion, it would be quite helpful.
Now, please understand, I love debate, and your offered identification is compelling- But, I'll need more info on your assertion before I discount the shape, size, area found, content and matter that is fossilized within the specimens, and complete lack of any similar image on the internet anywhere, any way and any how by the name "
sedimentary-originated concretionary structures"
that even come minimally close to resembling these that I have.
Thanks though...

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, they are sedimentary concretions. I cut and polish stones (lapidary) and I have cut coprolite that is colorful but it is as hard as petrified wood and takes a good polish. The coprolite I have seen does not resemble modern poop as the concretions do. I have found similar ones to the OP in the desert and they break open quite easily and look pretty much the same on the inside. The coprolite I have cut is very hard and came from Utah.

Inyo

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
posting a broken link is not very helpful.

The link worked when I originally posted it here, of course (September 28 and October 2, 2018). Your reply was on October 27, 2018.

On October 22, 2018, I removed all of my fossils-related (and music) web pages from the Net.

Last edited:

Inyo

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The link worked when I originally posted it here, of course (September 28 and October 2, 2018). Your reply (by poster: 1more4me) was on October 27, 2018.

On October 22, 2018, I removed all of my fossils-related (and music) web pages from the Net.

Just a note to say that I've placed all of my fossils-related (and music) web pages back on the Net.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread