Meg Tooth on Rural Farm?

HI-McDunnogh

Sep 7, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A buddy of mine has a rural farm with a creek that he says is spring-fed. He's found what he believes is a Megalodon, whale vertebrae, and shark's teeth in a creek on his property (his photos).

What's the best way to determine the period of these items and the geological circumstances for them ending up on a rural farm.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 23944.jpeg
    23944.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 23947.jpeg
    23947.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 23948.jpeg
    23948.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 92

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You nailed it. Most of the sharks' teeth in Virginia are Miocene period. Check out where his farm is with a geologic map of Virginia, and the will give you the answer, but the look Miocene to me, not newer.

OP
OP
HI-McDunnogh

HI-McDunnogh

Sep 7, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You nailed it. Most of the sharks' teeth in Virginia are Miocene period. Check out where his farm is with a geologic map of Virginia, and the will give you the answer, but the look Miocene to me, not newer.

That was quick. Big thanks for the help. Is there a specific name for geologic maps that indicate period relative to location?

OP
OP
HI-McDunnogh

HI-McDunnogh

Sep 7, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would do more hunting there if I could. Looks like a great resource.

I plan on it. He's invited me out. We're in a deep cold spell now, once it get's a little bit warmer I'd like to make the trip.

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
Can you post a photo of the other side of that tooth? I ask because I want ot see if the tooth has a bourlette (Megalodon) and no bourlette (Great White).

Make a sifter and dig and sift the gravel in the stream. I see Mako, sand tiger, Bull, lemon and maybe a hammerhead in those teeth.

OP
OP
HI-McDunnogh

HI-McDunnogh

Sep 7, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can you post a photo of the other side of that tooth? I ask because I want ot see if the tooth has a bourlette (Megalodon) and no bourlette (Great White).

Make a sifter and dig and sift the gravel in the stream. I see Mako, sand tiger, Bull, lemon and maybe a hammerhead in those teeth.

Nice IDs mike. Those are not my artifacts, but when I visit my friend's property I'll try and get some more photos of the tooth. Did great whites grow large enough in prehistoric times to have teeth of that size.

Looking forward to getting out to this spot myself and see what I can find.

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Giant shark teeth like that are too cool and Id love to find one

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
Nice IDs mike. Those are not my artifacts, but when I visit my friend's property I'll try and get some more photos of the tooth. Did great whites grow large enough in prehistoric times to have teeth of that size.

Looking forward to getting out to this spot myself and see what I can find.

Great whites were big. My largest is 3" and I know of a a few larger so yeah they can get that big. Also let's just say it is a, GW for the moment and it is 3". It would be worth more than any 4-5" Meg tooth.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Miocene fossils 10-15M y.o. Its not unusual to find fossil shark teeth, including Megs in tidewater area creeks. We've had record rainfall and the erosion has exposed these teeth.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best VA creeks for Miocene deposits would be those draining into the Potomac, Rappahannock, and James Rivers. Look for places where the heavier & large teeth dislodged from the clay matrix get trapped. Crevices, snags etc. Almost, like gold prospecting but different kinds of creeks.

The creeks are better after all these floods we've had in 2018. I normally hunt the cliffs, but the heavy rains have caused the top of the cliffs to slough off in many ton chunks that now cover the exposed miocene deposits. I walked 6 miles thursday after the blowout from the high NW wind, and didn't find a thing. Probably missed the best hunting by a day, but most of the base of the cliffs is totally blocked by tons of clay from the top of the cliffs. That clay has nothing in it and only blocks the miocene deposits. When the Cliffs are bad, the creeks are better.

OP
OP
HI-McDunnogh

HI-McDunnogh

Sep 7, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Appreciate all of the insight guys.

My buddy isn't into relics/artifacts, but says his young son is (he found all of those teeth) and that he has mason jars full of those teeth. They are close to the Mattaponi River which feeds off the York and subsequently the Chesapeake Bay.

I'm usually into the metal stuff in the ground, but am a sucker for any thing old, and believe 10-15 million years old beats anything in my current metal detecting collection :)

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate all of the insight guys.

My buddy isn't into relics/artifacts, but says his young son is (he found all of those teeth) and that he has mason jars full of those teeth. They are close to the Mattaponi River which feeds off the York and subsequently the Chesapeake Bay.

I'm usually into the metal stuff in the ground, but am a sucker for any thing old, and believe 10-15 million years old beats anything in my current metal detecting collection :)

When you visit, definitely take your detector. That area should be great for metal detecting. The farm fields before planting in the spring will be easy digging and there should also be Native American artifacts lying on the surface. That area has it all - from fossil deposits to Native American to colonial to Revolutionary War and Civil War history.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! I would get out there asap.

Yes, asap - after the snowing ends and melts - but go before spring planting.

OP
OP
HI-McDunnogh

HI-McDunnogh

Sep 7, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, asap - after the snowing ends and melts - but go before spring planting.

Plan on it soon!

I'll take a handful of photos of the land/topography.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread