Baby Dinosaur..

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Click bait!!
Inconclusive results.
I've had a few geologists say horn coral and I've had others say that it is a small animal of some sort.
You decide.
20190211_161032_HDR.jpg

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a side-view of the conjoined tubular cells making up a halysites "Chain Coral" colony. They are my favorite creek-walking fossil coral to find.

210c_p_halysites_sil_on_p.jpg

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is just a google pic, I have rather more awesome examples than that floating around though, some with the host rock naturally eroded/dissolved like the piece in the pic and others being glacial cobbles with the "chains" raised only slightly above the limestone surface. It depends on the piece and the host rock and whether or not the fossil has been replaced with silica (if it's calcite then only a quick dip to clean and brighten is advised) but sometimes a long soaking in HCl will produce extraordinary results.

I've found a few where the fossil and host rock have been converted to chert (I'd die on the spot if I found an indian arrowhead made out of material like that), and suspect they could be shaped and polished into some spectacular pieces.

Anyway, if you live in an area with glacial cobble streams then hunting around ought to turn up some better examples. You really can't miss 'em if you walk near one.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of mine came from Illinois so you should have plenty in Michigan, good luck!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats really cool They have fou d Dinasour bones in Dexter Mi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread