fossilized tooth?

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in a creek bed in northern California.

I think it might be a fossilized tooth or perhaps coral.

Please help me figure it out.

20190516_084856.jpg

20190516_084917.jpg

20190516_084940.jpg

OP
OP
O

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found another today...

IMG_20190518_102653_839.jpg

IMG_20190518_102604_715.jpg

IMG_20190518_102544_485.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190518_102754_142.jpg
    IMG_20190518_102754_142.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20190518_102741_106.jpg
    IMG_20190518_102741_106.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't mean to post the nutting stone.

How could fossilized horse teeth be in a California creek bed?

Is there time for a tooth to fossilize since re-introduction of the horse?

Or are these something else?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be something else but definitely teeth from a herbivore of some type.

Perico

May 29, 2012
The Horse originated in the Americas. Became extinct during the Pleistocene era. Brought back over to the America’s by the Spaniard’s during their worldwide explorations. Sorry for the poor generic explanation!

OP
OP
O

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be something else but definitely teeth from a herbivore of some type.

Horse is the closest match I can see.

I tried to burn them to see if I could smell an odour but nothing. I've read that is a way to test for fossilization.

So I think they are fossilized horse teeth.

The question for me is could they have time to fossilize since the reintroduction of the horse or are they very old indeed?

Also as I found two teeth in a single location, could there be more remains?

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Horse originated in the Americas. Became extinct during the Pleistocene era. Brought back over to the America’s by the Spaniard’s during their worldwide explorations. Sorry for the poor generic explanation!

Concise and precise explanation, for which I thank you.

OP
OP
O

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent info, thanks.

Still no idea if my finds are remains of early horse of reintroduced spanish one.

I've read that fossilization can happen slowly or rapidly depending on conditions.

Is there time for post-extinction horse's tooth to fossilize in the local conditions?

If they are fossilzed, they have to be from the early variety. Fossilization takes millions of years.

OP
OP
O

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they are fossilzed, they have to be from the early variety. Fossilization takes millions of years.

If that's the case that's pretty amazing.

The two teeth were collected separately but from approximately the same location.

I wonder if there is more to be found?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that's the case that's pretty amazing.

The two teeth were collected separately but from approximately the same location.

I wonder if there is more to be found?

The answer is YES! Fossils dont typically exist in ones or twos. When you are finding non-spitter teeth, you will likely have more and possibly parts of the skull and more. Likely other animal varieties there too. Just have to get your eyes right and spend time looking.

Heres a crazy thing; fossil bones typically come out of the matrix dark. Anything from tan to black. But unlike "rocks" they sun bleach, even within a few years. The ones you found have been exposed for a while. You said these were in a creek bed. is that a water way creek, or more like a rain wash?

OP
OP
O

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The answer is YES! Fossils dont typically exist in ones or twos. When you are finding non-spitter teeth, you will likely have more and possibly parts of the skull and more. Likely other animal varieties there too. Just have to get your eyes right and spend time looking.

Heres a crazy thing; fossil bones typically come out of the matrix dark. Anything from tan to black. But unlike "rocks" they sun bleach, even within a few years. The ones you found have been exposed for a while. You said these were in a creek bed. is that a water way creek, or more like a rain wash?

Not a waterway, but a seasonal creek - fast moving and full in winter but all but dry in summer.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend exploring up-creek. Think about what bones look like. Even go get some from a butcher. Look at how the outter layer looks, it's texture. Smash some open and look at how the interior of solid and marrow bones look, especially as fragments. Then go and explore. Walk slowly, examine everything. Search up-creek and up hill, especially any place that has exposed sidewalls (where dirt or rock collapsed and isnt covered with plants). Those teeth came from somewhere, but they havent been smashed up so they havent traveled a long ways.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread