Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fossilized tooth?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1

    Apr 2019
    93
    165 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    fossilized tooth?

    I found this in a creek bed in northern California.

    I think it might be a fossilized tooth or perhaps coral.

    Please help me figure it out.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190516_084856.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	1713035

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190516_084917.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	1713036

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190516_084940.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	1713037
    Hillbilly Prince likes this.

  2. #2

    May 2012
    316
    81 times
    Very beat up! Resembles horse. But not sure from pics.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1558227598.048913.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	220.9 KB 
ID:	1713614
    Out Of Time likes this.

  3. #3

    Apr 2019
    93
    165 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Found another today...


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190518_102653_839.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	1713615

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190518_102604_715.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	188.7 KB 
ID:	1713616

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190518_102544_485.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	1713617
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190518_102754_142.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	1713612   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190518_102741_106.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	163.2 KB 
ID:	1713613  
    Last edited by Out Of Time; May 18, 2019 at 08:02 PM.

  4. #4

    Apr 2019
    93
    165 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Didn't mean to post the nutting stone.

    How could fossilized horse teeth be in a California creek bed?

    Is there time for a tooth to fossilize since re-introduction of the horse?

    Or are these something else?

  5. #5
    us
    Oct 2009
    8,518
    7310 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Could be something else but definitely teeth from a herbivore of some type.

  6. #6

    May 2012
    316
    81 times
    The Horse originated in the Americas. Became extinct during the Pleistocene era. Brought back over to the Americaís by the Spaniardís during their worldwide explorations. Sorry for the poor generic explanation!
    Out Of Time likes this.

  7. #7

    Apr 2019
    93
    165 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    Could be something else but definitely teeth from a herbivore of some type.
    Horse is the closest match I can see.

    I tried to burn them to see if I could smell an odour but nothing. I've read that is a way to test for fossilization.

    So I think they are fossilized horse teeth.

    The question for me is could they have time to fossilize since the reintroduction of the horse or are they very old indeed?

    Also as I found two teeth in a single location, could there be more remains?
    Last edited by Out Of Time; May 19, 2019 at 12:08 AM.

  8. #8

    Apr 2019
    93
    165 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Perico View Post
    The Horse originated in the Americas. Became extinct during the Pleistocene era. Brought back over to the America’s by the Spaniard’s during their worldwide explorations. Sorry for the poor generic explanation!
    Concise and precise explanation, for which I thank you.

  9. #9

  10. #10

    Apr 2019
    93
    165 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptEsteban View Post
    Excellent info, thanks.

    Still no idea if my finds are remains of early horse, or reintroduced spanish one.

    I've read that fossilization can happen slowly or rapidly depending on conditions.

    Is there time for post-extinction horse's tooth to fossilize in the local conditions?
    Last edited by Out Of Time; May 19, 2019 at 02:10 PM.

  11. #11
    us
    Oct 2009
    8,518
    7310 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Out Of Time View Post
    Excellent info, thanks.

    Still no idea if my finds are remains of early horse of reintroduced spanish one.

    I've read that fossilization can happen slowly or rapidly depending on conditions.

    Is there time for post-extinction horse's tooth to fossilize in the local conditions?
    If they are fossilzed, they have to be from the early variety. Fossilization takes millions of years.

  12. #12

    Apr 2019
    93
    165 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    If they are fossilzed, they have to be from the early variety. Fossilization takes millions of years.
    If that's the case that's pretty amazing.

    The two teeth were collected separately but from approximately the same location.

    I wonder if there is more to be found?

  13. #13
    us
    Oct 2009
    8,518
    7310 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Out Of Time View Post
    If that's the case that's pretty amazing.

    The two teeth were collected separately but from approximately the same location.

    I wonder if there is more to be found?
    The answer is YES! Fossils dont typically exist in ones or twos. When you are finding non-spitter teeth, you will likely have more and possibly parts of the skull and more. Likely other animal varieties there too. Just have to get your eyes right and spend time looking.

    Heres a crazy thing; fossil bones typically come out of the matrix dark. Anything from tan to black. But unlike "rocks" they sun bleach, even within a few years. The ones you found have been exposed for a while. You said these were in a creek bed. is that a water way creek, or more like a rain wash?

  14. #14

    Aug 2016
    571
    521 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    LOOKS like a big Tooff to me

  15. #15

    Apr 2019
    93
    165 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    The answer is YES! Fossils dont typically exist in ones or twos. When you are finding non-spitter teeth, you will likely have more and possibly parts of the skull and more. Likely other animal varieties there too. Just have to get your eyes right and spend time looking.

    Heres a crazy thing; fossil bones typically come out of the matrix dark. Anything from tan to black. But unlike "rocks" they sun bleach, even within a few years. The ones you found have been exposed for a while. You said these were in a creek bed. is that a water way creek, or more like a rain wash?
    Not a waterway, but a seasonal creek - fast moving and full in winter but all but dry in summer.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Is this some sort of fossilized tooth?
    By BIENER in forum Fossils
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jan 16, 2019, 05:04 AM
  2. Is this a fossilized tooth?
    By greenisfor in forum What Is It?
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Nov 22, 2017, 10:05 AM
  3. Fossilized tooth?
    By jude061 in forum What Is It?
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Sep 16, 2016, 05:31 PM
  4. ohio fossilized tooth
    By trevmma in forum What Is It?
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Apr 24, 2010, 04:33 PM
  5. Fossilized Tooth Points the Way
    By OroGrande in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Aug 03, 2007, 08:27 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0