Big turtle fossil

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
This is one fossil that I didn't find myself. I did, however, "find" it at an antique flea market by my house fo $40. It's unusual to find any fossils at that antique show so I was really surprised to find a turtle. It's big. It took 2 of us to get it in the truck. It's pretty fragile so I treated it with "fossil sauce" to stabilize it. The sauce (Duco Household Cement & acetone) works great to harden soft rocks & fossils. Anyway, the turtle looks like it might have gotten stepped on, perhaps right after it died. The midline of the bottom shell is off a few degrees from the top shell. Still, I was very excited to have gotten this turtle & the price was certainly right. It is now on my fireplace hearth where it looks great!

Attachments

• turtle 002.JPG
    turtle 002.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 1,772
OP
OP
C

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
Forgot to add something - it's hard to tell from the photo, but it's actually 19" long.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Great fossil and great find.

I have to remember the cement for later fossil use.

HH
George

OP
OP
C

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
The recipe for "fossil sauce" is 1 ounce Duco & 3 ounces acetone. Apply liberally. It soaks into the stone & does not leave a laquered look to the fossil. I've used straight Duco to repair broken fossils & it works very well. I glued a large oyster shell together & you can't even see where it's been glued.

Tomy

Greenie
Aug 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey i think i have on. Its 14 inches long and 29 pounds but hard to identify 20200809_165320.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread