Fossilized Plants In Silicate Glass?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree20Likes
  • 3 Post By PinchedDreamer
  • 7 Post By Kray Gelder
  • 2 Post By gunsil
  • 1 Post By PinchedDreamer
  • 1 Post By PinchedDreamer
  • 2 Post By gunsil
  • 3 Post By Kray Gelder
  • 1 Post By Wildcat1750

Thread: Fossilized Plants In Silicate Glass?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    That Weird Guy

Feb 2017
    Clark County Nevada
    62 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Fossilized Plants In Silicate Glass?

Found this about a week ago in a box containing numerous rocks/crystals I collected about a year ago. I don't know how I didn't notice when this was first collected, but when I held it to the light, I could plainly see what appear to be plants encased within the glass.
    I've found quite a few fossils, and countless pieces of silicate glasses, but I don't think I've come across any other pieces like this.

Thoughts/opinions?
    Thanks all. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190914_080738940_HDR.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	1760521
    Last edited by PinchedDreamer; Oct 10, 2019 at 07:35 AM.
    Always remember to stop and take a look around once in a while. The landscape will reveal clues to those who are patient enough to search for them.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    7197 times
    Metal Detecting
    You have a nice plume agate. It's not fossilized plants, or glass. The dendritic iron oxide or manganese crystals grew within the solution that created the agate. Very cool!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plume agate.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	1760522 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plume agate 2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	1760523

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    2899 times
    That is a fine piece of dendritic agate! Some of my favorite stones. Years ago they were often called "moss" agate.Yours is likely from OR. My grandfather hunted agates throughout OR in the 1950s and had a nice collection of them which sadly disappeared after his passing. Agates are also found with selenite "plumes" mostly in Mexico. I am on vacation and cannot show some of those I have. Montana is also a source of fine dendritic agates along the Yellowstone river. Montana dendritic agate does not often have the large "fern" type of "plumes" which are more exemplar of OR agates.
    Last edited by gunsil; Oct 10, 2019 at 10:04 AM.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

us
    That Weird Guy

Feb 2017
    Clark County Nevada
    62 times
    Thank you both very much! Additional subject matter for me to add to the study regimen. I actually used to have a polished/unpolished rock info board that I acquired on a family trip as a kid, and I remember Moss Agate being one of the types included. I never really looked at it in the light though, as it was glued to the display board.
    This particular piece was collected by myself about a year or so ago, less than a mile from my home here in Nevada. Are these considered common in the desert? I assume they must be plentiful in Or?
    Kray Gelder likes this.
    Always remember to stop and take a look around once in a while. The landscape will reveal clues to those who are patient enough to search for them.

us
    That Weird Guy

Feb 2017
    Clark County Nevada
    62 times
    Also, the pictured specimens are absolutely gorgeous!
    Kray Gelder likes this.

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    2899 times
    A lot of the good old OR stuff has been dug out. If you have a good place to find more and in sizes that can be cut and polished you could make some money selling it. It is desirable to lapidaries and jewelry designers.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    7197 times
    Metal Detecting
    When I was a kid, in Western Washington, there was a grandfatherly type gray haired guy ( oh heck, I just described myself ) down the road that had tons, literally, of Oregon and Washington agates, thunder eggs, pet. wood, jasper, obsidian, geodes, you name it. This guy was in his prime in the 50's, and I guess the pickin's were rich back then. He also had piles of geodes and thunder eggs he had sliced in half, and slabs. A VERY cool place to look around when I was 10 or 11. I wonder what happened to him and his tonnage.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

us
    That Weird Guy

Feb 2017
    Clark County Nevada
    62 times
    I'd be interested in picking in a place like that... Know needs rusted old signs and oil cans if there are piles of rocks and minerals to be combed through?
    Lol.

us
    Nick

Nov 2012
    Connecticut
    Garrett AT PRO/Garrett Ace 250 + 8.5x11" DD Coil/ Garrett Pro-Pointer & Pro-Pointer AT/ Vibra-Tector 730/ Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Retired)
    1344 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    Nice find!...
    ...and I learned something about agates from your post!
    PinchedDreamer likes this.

”Piecing the Story of the People, who once lived on and farmed my property, one metal detecting find at a time.”:

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links