Fossilized Plants In Silicate Glass?

PinchedDreamer

Feb 11, 2017
Clark County Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this about a week ago in a box containing numerous rocks/crystals I collected about a year ago. I don't know how I didn't notice when this was first collected, but when I held it to the light, I could plainly see what appear to be plants encased within the glass.
I've found quite a few fossils, and countless pieces of silicate glasses, but I don't think I've come across any other pieces like this.

Thoughts/opinions?
Thanks all. IMG_20190914_080738940_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have a nice plume agate. It's not fossilized plants, or glass. The dendritic iron oxide or manganese crystals grew within the solution that created the agate. Very cool! plume agate.jpg plume agate 2.jpg

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a fine piece of dendritic agate! Some of my favorite stones. Years ago they were often called "moss" agate.Yours is likely from OR. My grandfather hunted agates throughout OR in the 1950s and had a nice collection of them which sadly disappeared after his passing. Agates are also found with selenite "plumes" mostly in Mexico. I am on vacation and cannot show some of those I have. Montana is also a source of fine dendritic agates along the Yellowstone river. Montana dendritic agate does not often have the large "fern" type of "plumes" which are more exemplar of OR agates.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PinchedDreamer

Feb 11, 2017
Clark County Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both very much! Additional subject matter for me to add to the study regimen. I actually used to have a polished/unpolished rock info board that I acquired on a family trip as a kid, and I remember Moss Agate being one of the types included. I never really looked at it in the light though, as it was glued to the display board.
This particular piece was collected by myself about a year or so ago, less than a mile from my home here in Nevada. Are these considered common in the desert? I assume they must be plentiful in Or?

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of the good old OR stuff has been dug out. If you have a good place to find more and in sizes that can be cut and polished you could make some money selling it. It is desirable to lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was a kid, in Western Washington, there was a grandfatherly type gray haired guy ( oh heck, I just described myself ) down the road that had tons, literally, of Oregon and Washington agates, thunder eggs, pet. wood, jasper, obsidian, geodes, you name it. This guy was in his prime in the 50's, and I guess the pickin's were rich back then. He also had piles of geodes and thunder eggs he had sliced in half, and slabs. A VERY cool place to look around when I was 10 or 11. I wonder what happened to him and his tonnage.

OP
OP
P

PinchedDreamer

Feb 11, 2017
Clark County Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be interested in picking in a place like that... Know needs rusted old signs and oil cans if there are piles of rocks and minerals to be combed through????
Lol.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest: