surface find----gastropod fossil with decorative carving - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: surface find----gastropod fossil with decorative carving

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2010
    Georgia
    Teknetics T2SE
    4909 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The reason I lean towards the lines being formed by scribing in either the uncured material or in the making of the model from which a mold was made is that if you zoom in on those lines, you will see where the material was displaced outward and upward, leaving a very slight ridge on either side of the incised lines, a feature that would not be present if those lines had been etched. Still unsure, however, on how the sponge looking features were formed on the other part. Odd piece for sure.

Went back and looked more closely at the "shell" looking part and more convinced that although it's not an "artifact" in the traditional sense, it is manmade, but a recent, likely resin, item. The spongy looking area appears to be made by the tip of a something with a profile like a pencil tip that needs shapening repeatedly being stuck in the still soft material. If you stand the item up with the tip of the "shell" pointing up, each little mark could've been formed by sticking the tip in a downward motion.

I know one thing. I've looked at this thing too long.
    Last edited by sandchip; Feb 09, 2020 at 10:03 AM.

us
    Apr 2017
    south east kansas
    Whites Eagle Spectrum
    1448 times
    Id say it was an imprint of mud cracks that kind of form in that pattern. but if its a mold they would be projecting from the base not sinking in.

us
    Jan 2020
    SW Virginia
    26 times
    True. I don't think it is a gastropod. The body of it is not in a spiral. I will research the 'coralline sponge'. Thanks

us
    Apr 2008
    Southern Ohio
    6054 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandchip View Post
    The reason I lean towards the lines being formed by scribing in either the uncured material or in the making of the model from which a mold was made is that if you zoom in on those lines, you will see where the material was displaced outward and upward, leaving a very slight ridge on either side of the incised lines, a feature that would not be present if those lines had been etched. Still unsure, however, on how the sponge looking features were formed on the other part. Odd piece for sure.

Went back and looked more closely at the "shell" looking part and more convinced that although it's not an "artifact" in the traditional sense, it is manmade, but a recent, likely resin, item. The spongy looking area appears to be made by the tip of a something with a profile like a pencil tip that needs shapening repeatedly being stuck in the still soft material. If you stand the item up with the tip of the "shell" pointing up, each little mark could've been formed by sticking the tip in a downward motion.

I know one thing. I've looked at this thing too long.
    i noticed that as well on the lines. I tend to agree it is made from resin and not very old. Most likely just a decorative knick knack of some kind.
    "Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends."

us
    May 2018
    Athens Georgia
    Garret AT pro
    525 times
    Metal Detecting
    Reminds me of a cast resin "dragon skull" that my brother had, when it fell and broke it had some weird crazing on the inside from the casting process. I would try the needle test to be sure it's stone.
    The universe rewards the observant.

us
    Jan 2012
    Rhode Island
    3507 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Red-Coat View Post
    It's not clear from the pictures whether it is actually a continuous spiral as you would find in a 'snail-like' gastropod shell or a series of cushion-like structures butted together in the manner of a tiered wedding cake. The answer is important in determining what it might be. The close-up structure most resembles a coralline sponge and that could certainly grow in 'tiered wedding cake' fashion.

For sure it isn't an artefact and I don't think there is any man-made 'carving' on it. There are a number of organisms which can leave feeding traces that look like carved lines in limestone/carbonate-type reef fossils and I would suspect that's what the marks on the 'bottom' are.
    I would pay attention to what Red-Coat is saying here. I believe he knows what he is talking about, and more photos might really help. I also agree that the lines being feeding traces is likely for marine reef fossils. Worm trails, for instance are commonly seen on shellfish remains.
    Red-Coat likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links