Found while metal detecting one of the Treasure Coast Beaches.

Rum Tide

Apr 28, 2019
The Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Yukon Coin Hustler II, Vibra-Tector 740, Pulse Dive (2), Equinox 600, Equinox 800 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to the fossil world. I found this yesterday while metal detecting a Florida Treasure Coast beach. I appreciate any knowledge and/or opinions. Thank you

JB July 2020 (2).jpg

JB July 2020 (1).jpg

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does it feel like? What does it weigh? Not alot to go on by visual, other than it resembles burnt wood

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The texture (to my uneducated eye) looks like it could be a piece of dead coral.

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a piece of fossilized bone. Petrified bone is quite common along Florida beaches, and looks exactly like that. The many holes in the second picture are the pores in the bone.

Your bone likely dates to the Miocene era (about 20 million years old). There isn't enough left to tell what species it came from, but it could have originated from a wide range of animals from that time period, ranging from deer, to whales, to extinct tapirs.

OP
OP
Rum Tide

Rum Tide

Apr 28, 2019
The Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Yukon Coin Hustler II, Vibra-Tector 740, Pulse Dive (2), Equinox 600, Equinox 800 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point. It has the feel and the weight of a stone or fossil, heavier than a piece of wood.

OP
OP
Rum Tide

Rum Tide

Apr 28, 2019
The Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Rum Tide

Rum Tide

Apr 28, 2019
The Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, not metal. My metal detector ignored it, but my eyes did not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread