Bone Fossil? Rattles!!

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I visited with my 92 year old rock buddy on the phone the other night. He had been to a rock show at Crawford Nebraska and he told me he bought some Rattle Rocks. I asked what they were and he said rocks that are hollow with loose crystals in them. I asked if they were black ( thinking of this thread) and he said No. I'm a long way from you guys, but wanted you to know that some rocks do rattle. Hopefully I'll get to Rapid City to see them.

OP
OP
KaliCo

KaliCo

Nov 29, 2018
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm interested in seeing what you found!

I am interested in knowing what this is too, as I have a similar specimen, minus the rattle, that was found in the Caprock Escarpment of Texas, along the Southern edge of the panhandle. If I can find where I put it, I will post some pictures of it this week. I have found Triassic age fossilized material in other parts of the Caprock Escarpment, including some that are black, but nothing about my specimen or yours, leads me to think it is a fossil. My first thought was that it was some sort of iron-manganese mix, but it does not react with hydrogen peroxide, which should cause bubbling if manganese was present and it will barely react to a very strong magnet, 1.5" neodymium sphere magnet, and will not visibly react to a normal magnet at all.

OP
OP
KaliCo

KaliCo

Nov 29, 2018
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get there and get to see them, I would be interested in seeing a photo of them. I wish there was some way I could have this one x-rayed, or something. I do not want to break it open. The outside is kind of unique looking, also. Or, I think so at least.

I visited with my 92 year old rock buddy on the phone the other night. He had been to a rock show at Crawford Nebraska and he told me he bought some Rattle Rocks. I asked what they were and he said rocks that are hollow with loose crystals in them. I asked if they were black ( thinking of this thread) and he said No. I'm a long way from you guys, but wanted you to know that some rocks do rattle. Hopefully I'll get to Rapid City to see them.

OP
OP
KaliCo

KaliCo

Nov 29, 2018
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aha....could it be this? Whitby Jet. Hmmm, this is super hard though. And, does not polish. But, still, scroll down about half way down through this site and look at the pics on the right side.
https://geology.com/gemstones/jet/

OP
OP
KaliCo

KaliCo

Nov 29, 2018
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could that be from the oil in the south Texas oil fields, though? And, I put it under a light and this is a browish more than a black, like the Whitby Jet. So, now I am thinking nope on that theory. My mystery rattling rock is still a mystery.

I'm in agreement with carmichael. It's glazed. IMO.

TonyG

Mar 5, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got around to digging it out. Note the odd texture only on one side and it weights in at 28.3 grams. It will not stick to large neodymium magnet, but it is very slightly attracted to it.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

OP
OP
KaliCo

KaliCo

Nov 29, 2018
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread