Any Illinois fossil hunters?

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found fossils at the Shelbyville Reservoir. You have to catch it when the water is lowered. Usually February until we get spring rains and it fills back up. Rocky shoreline...you have to look hard. Find a few. Also, there is a modern working rock quarry near Charleston that has lots of crinoids. You used to be able to go in there on Sat. and pay a small amount and get all the crinoids you want. I don't know if they still let people in or not. It's been years since I went there.

I've seen trilobites from IL but never an ammonite. Maybe somewhere but not where I hunt.
Gary

coral5.JPG coral6.JPG crinoid3.JPG

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can make a weekend out of it, here in southern illinois foot hills, there are quite a variety of fossils around. Bell Smith springs area is a fun place to start

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try Oglesby IL for brachiopods and crinoids. There has been a desultory start to creating a fossil park from a portion of a quarry.

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and of course the world-famous Mazon Creek area fossils, in Will and Grundy counties.

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's funny you meniton ammonites. I ran into a very large ammonoid, perhaps 75 pounds, over the weekend. Too big to haul off, too big really to have opened up nicely.

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found fossils at the Shelbyville Reservoir. You have to catch it when the water is lowered. Usually February until we get spring rains and it fills back up. Rocky shoreline...you have to look hard. Find a few. Also, there is a modern working rock quarry near Charleston that has lots of crinoids. You used to be able to go in there on Sat. and pay a small amount and get all the crinoids you want. I don't know if they still let people in or not. It's been years since I went there.

I've seen trilobites from IL but never an ammonite. Maybe somewhere but not where I hunt.
Gary

View attachment 1859200 View attachment 1859201 View attachment 1859202

We once tried to find trilobites up near Lemont, IL, but found diddly. Whereabouts did you find yours?

jcunn3

Greenie
May 11, 2020
Springfield, IL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I live in Springfield and find some decent stuff on the Sangamon River (mostly corals).

Planning a trip to Mazon Creek this spring when it opens and I had success down near Anna, IL in the rock cuts!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread