large, hafted knocker of sorts

nunyabiz111

Jun 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a little more upstream than the usual into waters relatively unaffected by the spring tillage:

YyKa84o.jpg

zt8jqoJ.jpeg

6Dr5bzQ.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, not seeing it at all.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like big knockers. Big natural knockers are fun but probably not altered by man.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The inside of the notches is not shown. And might not show vestigial pecking if it’s water worn enough. My question is how do we know that this is not a water worn notched weight? How can we be absolutely sure it is not? After all, notched weights came in all sizes. I’ve seen them up to ~80 pounds, probable anchors when that large. But, I see a rock with opposing notches, I check it out. Notched weights are pretty common....

attachment.php

30 pounds:

attachment.php

Attachments

• D2236687-76FD-4DD6-AC5A-2496CE788D5E.jpeg
    D2236687-76FD-4DD6-AC5A-2496CE788D5E.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 65141B6F-C924-44FA-B5B8-F79036396953.jpeg
    65141B6F-C924-44FA-B5B8-F79036396953.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 135

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With out some kind of signs of an artifact being worked or used then it is just a guess, a maybe, and our forum is not for "may be " an artifact.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With out some kind of signs of an artifact being worked or used then it is just a guess, a maybe, and our forum is not for "may be " an artifact.
Maybe we need a big knocker forum. No need to specify whether altered by man then..

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't see either a fossil or an artifact. Just weathered rock.

But you sure could knock with it.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I usually judge notched weights found on the water by examining the interior of the notches, since that is generally the only place that shows work on a notched weight in the first place. I’ve seen maybe artifacts on here all the time. And sometimes better photos have turned a maybe into an artifact. I only pointed out that the view one needs to judge a notched weight was not included. Not saying it is not “just a rock”, as it’s often put, just pointing out artifact collectors that are used to notched weights look at the interior surface of the notches on water worn examples.

Anyway, I’ve collected fossils a longer time than artifacts. Anyone know why this is considered a fossil?

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually judge notched weights found on the water by examining the interior of the notches, since that is generally the only place that shows work on a notched weight in the first place. I’ve seen maybe artifacts on here all the time. And sometimes better photos have turned a maybe into an artifact. I only pointed out that the view one needs to judge a notched weight was not included. Not saying it is not “just a rock”, as it’s often put, just pointing out artifact collectors that are used to notched weights look at the interior surface of the notches on water worn examples.

Anyway, I’ve collected fossils a longer time than artifacts. Anyone know why this is considered a fossil?

I get your point. I dig east tx sites in accumulated sand with no natural stone. Literally every stone was brought there by natives. Many are totally unaltered. Maybe it was a cooking stone or the rock Pocahontas threw at a squirrel. I don't know. I do know that if I posted these every day for 5 years folks would really get weary of examining them for a human ding. My point? MOST ARTIFACTS THAT ARE IN ANY WAY COLLECTABLE, ARE OBVIOUS.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread