signals trouble on my etrac

abcdefgh

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone,

First i would like to apologize for my english... french people...

I had a big signal problem on a mineralized soil few days ago, my etrac, usually quite as a tomb, started to "bip" on everything on the soil, even in the air, I was in the incapacity to stop it. I tried to use the sound noise automatically and manually, but there was no effect on the detector so I stoped my activity, it was such frustrating for me, but anyway... I came back home and i tried it in my field (not very mineralized) and the detector did it again so I decided to push the power button for a while to retrieve the factory parameters and then it was alright.

My question is , does this thing happened to somebody here, and if it is, what did you do to keep the detector under control?

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
mine did the same thing, however, I had a bad coil. Minelab fixed it for me and haven't had a problem since. I would also check for sand or debris under your coil cover and maybe a loose connection somewhere in line with the coil. good luck

OP
OP
A

abcdefgh

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx for the answer,

I cleaned the coil today, and I've checked for some connection's problems but i didn't noticed something wrong... I'll try tomorrow in the same mineralized place, if it's happening again, I think I would have to change my coil for a new one... by the way did you know if I can use my old Musketeer XS pro coil on my Etrac?

++

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
abcdefgh said:
Thx for the answer,

I cleaned the coil today, and I've checked for some connection's problems but i didn't noticed something wrong... I'll try tomorrow in the same mineralized place, if it's happening again, I think I would have to change my coil for a new one... by the way did you know if I can use my old Musketeer XS pro coil on my Etrac?

++

On your XS Pro I don't believe so. As for the interference you're experiencing, I believe it's your coil also as I had the same problem.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I know you can swap ones from an explorer, I don't know about the safari. you would have to check with minelab or maybe woodland detectors

OP
OP
A

abcdefgh

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello and thanks for the answer,

I tried to go to the same place than yesterday, but it's the hunting season here in France and it was like war everywhere, so I decided to go in a piece of wood (I've cleaned the coil, made an automatic noise cancel at my arrival on site), I turned on the factory coin program and here I go. First results was that the detector didn't get out of control, but something was different in its responses... I mean I feel the detector more sensitive than in the first time I used it, making a lot of noise on bad items or items wich are on the limit of discrimination; sometimes it bipped like the targets was too far from the coil (an heavy sound like "bump"), it was very difficult to interpret the signals except when the FE/CO of the targets were in the blank sections of the screen. I don't know what to think, I begin to think that it's just me that interpret badly the signal but I didn't realized that few months ago... Maybe I hit the coil too strong on on a rock someday or something else or maybe it's me, I think I'm gonna try a new coil hoping it's not a more serious problem (the electronic box for example)...

Thanks again for your reactivity and if anyone had this kind of trouble, tell me what do you think about this situation;

Regards

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I would switch coils and try it again, if it changes you have a bad coil if not you may have a problem inside. either way I would send it in to minelab and let them work on it

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have another coil that fits the e-trac then try that first. I ended up buying another 8" coil that fits the e-trac and tried it and it worked fine so I sent my stock one in and they sent a new one. They where having problems with the stock coils and I believe it was the wiring in the cord not the coil if I remember correctly but your problem sure sounds the same as what I was experiencing. Good Luck.

OP
OP
A

abcdefgh

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx everyone for your interest,

I tried today a new coil, the original one of an Etrac, in same mineralized place, and I just eard some erratics sounds but nothing like with my first coil, i can't say what the matter was with the first one, but it's a relief that the control box isn't implicated in this trouble.

Thanks a lot to everyone, I hope I could help someone later on this cool forum!

I founded today with my "new Etrac" a roman coin, awsome :) keep hunting and I could send some french videos here if somebody have an interest of metal detecting in France.

Regards

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread