Other
Upvote 0

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure but do you have any pics? I found a lead ingot once but it was most likely late 1800s and nothing like what you discribe. Mine looked more like the shape of Fort Knox Gold but out of lead.
NJ

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
Did the Lead look like this ??????? Far left in the photo

Attachments

• FUR TRADE AREA 002.jpg
    FUR TRADE AREA 002.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 2,159
OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
No they were uniformly cylindrical, definitely had been in a mold. that's why I was wondering if it was the choice means of transporting them. My husband threw them away.(he isn't one of us "special"people) but when the snakes go away, I'll go get more. cuz the field is covered w/ them.

nwctrader

Aug 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
All the ingot bars of lead that I have seen from the Civil War and back to the 1700's was in the shape of a elongated rectagular bar, being flared out at the bottom & with writing imprinted on the top such as 'LEAD' or some military dept. writing on it. They are usually about 1/2" wide to 1" wide and maybe 6 to 12" long. These bars were the way they were always transported (in barrels or crates), although I wouldn't be surprised to find out there were other forms of lead ingots it made for transport.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some gold ingots and bars were coated in lead for easier transport.no one wanted to steal lead.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
strickman said:
some gold ingots and bars were coated in lead for easier transport.no one wanted to steal lead.

wouldn't that be grand! seeing as how the whole field is strewn w/ this material!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think my lead bar is from the late 1800s but here iare a few pictures.

P5260030.jpg

P5260031.jpg

P5260029.jpg

The last one has a picture of the Tatham Brothers lead factory that was based in Philadelphia in the 1800s. I'm not sure how long they were in business so I'm not sure of the range this bar is from.

NJ

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
uh tell him about "old low alpha" lead * --its highly desired by electronic folks !! worth a good bit of cash if found in a decent amount.

Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I also have a Tatham lead bar. I found mine back in the 1970s on Egmont Key in the mouth of Tampa Bay.

leadbar.jpg

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lead was used until the 1920's for than just making bullets. In earlier times it was the first solder and used as a sealanat for windows and pipe. It had many utilitarian uses. Casting them into ingots, their size being determined by the end use.

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
Could be... lead was a fairly popular trade item. It could be from later people too. For instance I'm digging at a trade site with tons of metal slag; turns out most of it was probably scrap from railroad construction and other later events.

Whatdayagot

Aug 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lead piece

Could be... lead was a fairly popular trade item. It could be from later people too. For instance I'm digging at a trade site with tons of metal slag; turns out most of it was probably scrap from railroad construction and other later events.

I found this last night across from a tavern the cont army camped at I found coins of that era and amongst them found this the property has been used up until now but curious to know if this could be a lead bar they used for bullets? IMG_9112.JPG its curved

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's lead is awesome!

chase2

May 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DSCN1724.JPG DSCN1723.JPG
Do the ones you found look like this?

JasoninIowa

Nov 16, 2012
Ankeny Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chase2,

I have found some of those. I was told that they were net weights but I'm really not sure. I found mine in a river so it made sense to me.

DirtyPockects

Apr 18, 2016
Dayton, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Garrett Ace400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember seeing a plumbers furnace with cylindrical lead ingots in it. Also electrical cables came with a lead sheath as well

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread