Decided my first post on T-net would be on this forum

Rob (B.C.)

Apr 14, 2009
Hello everyone!

I'm a regular poster on a couple other forums, but haven't spent much time around T-net. Checking it out yesterday, I was pleasantly suprised to see a "Fur Trade Forum"! This is my favorite type of hunting and I have been lucky enough, through tons of research, to find a great site that I visit occasionally.

Here are a couple pics of some finds. I'll post some of my favorite specific finds later. These are from an 1820's HBC site.

IMG_3253.jpg

IMG_2053.jpg

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome !

Cool artifacts !

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Nice photography. All the items "drip with oldness" and conjur up images of the wild west, eh? I like the tamping rod holder.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!Awesome!!Hey does that awl looking deal have a hole in the middle? :icon_scratch:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll never get sick of seeing that stuff... and I think the silver ring deserves to be included too! (whether you think trade or not) :headbang:

OP
OP
Rob (B.C.)

Rob (B.C.)

Apr 14, 2009
Iron Patch said:
I'll never get sick of seeing that stuff... and I think the silver ring deserves to be included too! (whether you think trade or not) :headbang:

I'll be posting some more!!.....Actually I found a great old photo (1890's) of a native girl (Actually a native chief's daughter at another fort), wearing what I would swear was the same ring......I really think it's trade related. :icon_thumleft:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rob (B.C.) said:
Iron Patch said:

I'll be posting some more!!.....Actually I found a great old photo (1870's) of a native girl (Actually the HBC chief factors daughter at another fort), wearing what I would swear was the same ring......I really think it's trade related. :icon_thumleft:

I really think you discounted it too soon because of how it looked. To me anything silver from that site you have could easily have been trade silver. Remember it was just as much the metal as how it was used or shaped!

OP
OP
Rob (B.C.)

Rob (B.C.)

Apr 14, 2009
Iron Patch said:
Rob (B.C.) said:
Iron Patch said:

I'll be posting some more!!.....Actually I found a great old photo (1870's) of a native girl (Actually the HBC chief factors daughter at another fort), wearing what I would swear was the same ring......I really think it's trade related. :icon_thumleft:

I really think you discounted it too soon because of how it looked. To me anything silver from that site you have could easily have been trade silver. Remember it was just as much the metal as how it was used or shaped!

It's that "solid silver" stamp that made me think it might not be, but who am I to say......I'm learning as I go. :icon_thumleft:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rob (B.C.) said:
Iron Patch said:
Rob (B.C.) said:
Iron Patch said:

It's that "solid silver" stamp that made me think it might not be, but who am I to say......I'm learning as I go. :icon_thumleft:

Well that's better than 925! :thumbsup:

You placed your first post in the right place! Welcome!
Just to inform our members here that finding this kind of stuff in B.C. is quite the accomplishment! Early sites like this are hard to find out there and if you happen to find such a site, try searching it! When I lived in B.C. all of the early sites were so grown in with Salal berry bushes and other thick vegetation that I had to crawl on my hands and knees never mind swinging a coil! Hopefully your sites aren't that thick. Look forward to more of your posts.
Nicely done and thanks for posting.
Dave.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rob (B.C.) said:
kuger said:
WOW!!Awesome!!Hey does that awl looking deal have a hole in the middle? :icon_scratch:

The zig-zag awl??? No, What made you ask??
BECAUSE WE HAVE BEEN DIGGING A LOT OF ITEMS THAT LOOK LIKE THAT,THAT HAVE A HOLE IN THE MIDDLE.I INITIALLY THOUGHT THEY WERE AWLS BUT NOW I AM WONDERING?THANKS :wink:

OP
OP
Rob (B.C.)

Rob (B.C.)

Apr 14, 2009
kuger said:
Rob (B.C.) said:
kuger said:

The zig-zag awl??? No, What made you ask??
BECAUSE WE HAVE BEEN DIGGING A LOT OF ITEMS THAT LOOK LIKE THAT,THAT HAVE A HOLE IN THE MIDDLE.I INITIALLY THOUGHT THEY WERE AWLS BUT NOW I AM WONDERING?THANKS :wink:

I've never seen one with a hole, nor could I imagine why there would be one (It would just be a weak spot in the awl). Post a picture and let's see! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Rob (B.C.)

Rob (B.C.)

Apr 14, 2009
Muddyhandz said:
You placed your first post in the right place! Welcome!
Just to inform our members here that finding this kind of stuff in B.C. is quite the accomplishment! Early sites like this are hard to find out there and if you happen to find such a site, try searching it! When I lived in B.C. all of the early sites were so grown in with Salal berry bushes and other thick vegetation that I had to crawl on my hands and knees never mind swinging a coil! Hopefully your sites aren't that thick. Look forward to more of your posts.
Nicely done and thanks for posting.
Dave.

Thanks for the kudos, Muddyhandz!!!

I worked long and hard to research this spot and to gain access to hunt it. It's been a true dream spot for me to hunt, and you know as well as I do, how hard it is to find really old sites in Western Canada!

I'm partially fortunate that the site is mostly animal pasture, but the part that makes me sick thinking about it, is that about 30 years ago the site was bulldozed and much of it was buried in a big hole...Lost forever! :'(

It's a tough site too, because after it was a trade site it was homesteaded from the 1870's until the 1960's. There's a lot of "modern" trash and tons of old finds mixed with the really old trade era finds, but I'm not complaining! It's been like being the guy in W&E treasure mag article when I'm hunting this spot!! :headbang:

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, Rob.....looks like you have a great site there! Those are some "fine lookin'" relics!!
Dale

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one heck of a musket side plate--if that's what it is. :o

Is the bent piece at the top of the first photo a candle snuffer?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread