WooHoo!!! Today was my day..HBC button and trade rings

Rob (B.C.)

Apr 14, 2009
I'm still shaking a bit!..... I've been hunting a this fur trade site for awhile and have been dreaming of finding a Hudsons Bay Co button for a long time. Today was my day!! Finds were slim, but it was a day of quality, not quantity!! :headbang:

Dave.....I swear it's the power of positive thinking after your button posts!! :icon_thumright:

It was getting dusk when I took these pics, so they're not perfect.

Here's the button I've been waiting for.........

IMG_3866.jpg

A close-up.....It doesn't do it justice.......Backmarked "FIRMIN & WESTALL"

IMG_3867.jpg

Another find from today that would have normally been the killer find of the day......I knew what it was as soon as I saw the glass stone poking out of the dirt.........An early fur trade ring!!

IMG_3870.jpg

Here it is with the dirt knocked off! :icon_thumright:

IMG_3875.jpg

What a way to end the detecting season......Winter is supposed to be here this week according to the weather man.. :-[

I'll post up some other finds in a separate post!! :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Stuff Rob :icon_thumleft:, I Love that Trade Ring and as You know I would Loved to seen your WOOPEE DANCE

as you realised what you have found :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Rob (B.C.)

Rob (B.C.)

Apr 14, 2009
Muddyhandz said:
What a beauty! Congratulations Rob! It's funny did you find that on Saturday? Because I was out with Hardy and found the same scroll button except mine was a cuff size. I wonder if we found it at the same time? Talk about HBC vibes or what! It is a blessing to have kind soil and your button is in great condition. :thumbsup:
I think you have predated your site, as the button is older and so is the ring. Those rings date to the late 1700's or early 1800's. It is obviously not about quantity, but quality in this case for sure!
Thanks for sharing and I am really happy for you. :hello2:
Dave.

Thanks, Dave!! I'm still on a big high!!
Yep, I found it on Saturday, but unless you guys were on a night hunt I don't think we found them at the same time...LOL....I found it at about 5:30 Pacific time and found the ring about 15 minutes after. The ring would have been the stellar find of the day, but it got over-shadowed by the button. :laughing9:

I found a couple other good things, but I'll post them up later (Gotta have something to post this winter...LOL) :laughing7:

Here's a couple slightly better pics after just enough cleaning to bring out the little gilt remaning on the front.....The shank is intact! :icon_thumright:

IMG_3879.jpg
IMG_3883.jpg

relic reaper

Jan 12, 2008
Great White North
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 , Tesoro Tejon, Fisher F-75, Tesoro Stingray
I love it everytime and every forum I see it on dude!!

Have something to add to my want list with regards to the fur trade!! Love the button its one I need , have to love the satire in the Motto too: " for the hides we risk our own skin" is the translation that most believe to be the interpretation of the day, and when you read journals in particular Fidlers how uneasy the white traders must;ve felt when they went to sleep at night only to awaken to over 1000 lodges had moved in during the night . Definately some uneasy sleeps I'm sure!! Hope you get another than we can trade!!

BEARWALKER

Dec 16, 2009
east texas
Detector(s) used
bluetick hound
that button is outstanding--you would-not think they would stay in that nice of condition in the ground for so many years--it amazes me--that ring is grand also----congrads

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread