Father Marquette Jesuit Ring? Late 1600s

bobsphotogallery

Sep 23, 2008
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Father Marquette Jesuit Ring? Late 1600's

Now here is a ring of the likes that we that hunt for the 1600’s in my area have not seen much of … the ring suggests to me to have Father Jacques Marquette holding the keys to the natives salvation in his hand similar to the Catholic imagery of Saint Peter .
Father Marquette was an explorer priest as well as major part of the Jesuit movement back in the late1600s here in upper Michigan, then known as “New France” .. He enjoyed a rock star status among the natives … as far as I know this is the only example of a Jesuit ring found with this image … I feel this may have been just one of the secrets to this mans popularity .. a nice for get me not ring .. a calling card so to speak …
The sad thing about all Jesuit rings, crosses and medals there just wasn’t much mentioned about them in the written Chronicles of that time period.
So for your viewing pleasure …
Regards
Bob

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Father Marquette Jesuit Ring? Late 1600's

That is something else, and I too never seen a trade ring with that design. The more I see these type of finds posted it makes me wonder just how far I'd have to travel out of my area to find a site like that. At this point we've hunted so many fields it's pretty safe to say there wasn't many, if any, trade sites up this way.

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266

That's an awesome ring. Where do you think that would of been made at? I'm just wondering because if it wasn't made at the mission they would of had to have a painting or drawing of his likeness to make the mold or stamp. He wasn't a saint so you wouldn't think the Jesuit Fathers would approve of that kind of vanity. On the other hand he was on his own in the wilderness far away from their watching eye so maybe this was his way of building a stronger relationship with the Indians with no one else to know. If it is him that's one historical find. :thumbsup: Thank's for sharing.

Wolverine.

OP
OP
bobsphotogallery

bobsphotogallery

Sep 23, 2008
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Mich. Wolverine said:
That's an awesome ring. Where do you think that would of been made at? I'm just wondering because if it wasn't made at the mission they would of had to have a painting or drawing of his likeness to make the mold or stamp. He wasn't a saint so you wouldn't think the Jesuit Fathers would not approve of that kind of vanity. On the other hand he was on his own in the wilderness far away from their watching eye so maybe this was his way of building a stronger relationship with the Indians with no one else to know. If it is him that's one historical find. :thumbsup: Thank's for sharing.

Wolverine.

Boy that question is a good one and the answer would be only my best guess .. though I have a feeling that allot of what we have learned from all historical media is just well educated folks best guesses... and like the Kensington Rune Stone found in the late 1800's that was labeled a hoax, a fake.... well until a year ago or so when the technology moved along far enough to analyze the stone and it became an authentic mystery ... which goes to show ya ... even if its written in stone .. it still may not mean anything if nobody believes in it!. :dontknow: :laughing7:
well I am going to bet those rings were made in France .. from my readings of the Jesuit chronicles... the priests talk about getting more rings in the supply requests from France .... but I could be wrong .. for I am not sure how advanced Montreal was during the late 1600's...
When I found my first Louis XIV ring I thought he was attempting to deify himself to the natives .. but then I thought maybe the french were not just using the images on the rings for strictly religious purposes .. but more like simple news papers.. just another useful form of communication.. I feel we may tend to restrict our thinking some times and can miss the bigger picture.
Thank you for your viewing and comments
Best Regards
Bob

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A

Simple enough. Saint w/key = Apostle Peter. A nice cast brass French ring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread