Can anyone date ID these scissors?

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone help me with the scissors for an ID? They are in just dug condition and the main distinguishing features are the three holes in a triangle and a line running down below them just above the joint pivot, almost looking like a tree or pawn shop balls. I also threw in my latest broach for the heck of it. (RC)

Attachments

• IMG_2409.JPG
    IMG_2409.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_2415.JPG
    IMG_2415.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_2424.JPG
    IMG_2424.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 371
Upvote 0

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A
This style shows up at French era and Brit era sites. I'll see if it is a Sheffield mark. Silver is definitely Brit era (post 1760). Can we see more of the knife?

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A
OK looked at Sheffield marks... none of the 18th c. scissors makers I have marks for used the three circles, BUT, it was a common motif for pen knife makers' marks. It would be the 3 circles plus something else, like *+, or Cross and shepherd's crook, or...

Having a pen knife makers' mark is not a problem on scissors. They made whatever there was a market for. If you can make out the rest of the mark, we can put a name and a range of dates to them.

The three circles are most common in the 1780's, from what I see.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread