Trade era? brass, fine scrolled silver,and either ivory/horn/bone powder flask

rootdigger

Aug 5, 2007
This was such a nice find!!! I could not help but too share it with ya's and maybe get a good idea of it's age and possible value. This gunpowder flask measures close to 13" tip to tip. Looks to be brass, copper is iffy, old brass will turn a copper color in time, its inlaid in fine scrolled/decorated silver, and this silver in this flask looks to be trade era silver, but please don't hold me to that, I only saw and handled a few pieces, not and expert. and the center of this is ivory or bone or horn. I really don't wanna take a gander on that, but would love some opinions on it all actually. I took it to a gold and silver buyer, to see about getting the silver tested, no.1, they didn't wanna scratch and acid test this, which I am not letting happen to it. and no.2, when they first seen it, all they could say is, that is before the civil war. I agree with that too. it is handmade and soldered I guess they woulda called it that, this together. I didn't post a lot of pics, but will be glad too if someone wants or needs more too help or determine its age and maybe a value too. the tips lid comes off and its silver on the outside and brass/copper on the inside to match either sides decoration's/style.. Has markings in the copper or brass end of this also, but can't really tell what they are..its a beauty, thats for sure!!!! Thanks alot and enjoy!!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 873
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 786
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 735
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 758
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 791
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 720
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 740
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 752
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 716
Upvote 0

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A
You're right, not Asian, it's most likely Moroccan.

See pic.

Attachments

• Moroccan.jpg
    Moroccan.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,536
OP
OP
R

rootdigger

Aug 5, 2007
Hi and thanks! I beleive it's Morrocan myself after seeing the pics sent. Thanks again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread