straightenarrow

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2012
Wisco
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Pointer, Whites Classic 3
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been detecting for a couple months now. I started with a white's classic III which I found the Axe with. I then upgraded already to the AT PRO which I found the PIPE with. I found a fair amount of information on the AXE's of this time period, but the pipe there seems to be very little information about the metal pipes, moreso the pottery types! Ive been lurking on this site quite a bit since ive started this hobby and all your information is invaluable!! Thanks for making it fun! tradeaxe_top.jpg pipe.jpg tradeaxeside.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

straightenarrow

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2012
Wisco
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
To be honest I've never used any method, I found another axe as well in worse condition. What's the recommended method)? I was thinking sodium hydroxide and magnesium.

bobsphotogallery

Sep 23, 2008
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To be honest I've never used any method, I found another axe as well in worse condition. What's the recommended method)? I was thinking sodium hydroxide and magnesium.

550 degrees in the oven for 30mins.. then right into cold soapy water for about 5mins.. then do it again ... I take a triangular file but any metal edge will do to knock off to rust bubbles then a Brass wire brush to clean the rest .. let dry .. I coat mine with a few coats of baby oil ... and they not only look great but smell good!
wink.gif

OP
OP
S

straightenarrow

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2012
Wisco
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Sounds like a safer method than the caustic/mag method! I think Ill try that first. The other axe I found is much worse with big (almost golf ball sized) nodules on it. Same area as this axe but deeper, although it does look like the typical trade axe... it actually looks more like a modern day axe, but its really hard to tell with so much corrosion!

Steve0

Feb 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI, Minelab excalibur
Welcome and nice finds. I dont know much about either axes or pipes. What is the pipe made from?

OP
OP
S

straightenarrow

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2012
Wisco
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The pipe seems to be made out of lead or pewter type material. How does one tell the difference between those to materials as they age??

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds! It's nice to see some new finds in here. I know nothing about pipes, but if it's heavy then could be lead. It looks like lead. It really looks like clay, but obviously it's not. Work that site over good.

-Swartzie

OP
OP
S

straightenarrow

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2012
Wisco
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thank you! It is definitely lead type material on the pipe is made out of. Historically there were lead mines in SW WI so traveling a hundred or so miles up the major river would be feasible. I image they used some type of hollow bone or shell to complete the pipe. I am still looking for my first good coin, but I think I most enjoy relics such as this. I also found a copper piece that almost appeared like an 1/8 of a coin in shape and size.

Steve Ia

Aug 22, 2010
I looked a good Fur Trade camp for about five years, and never found a single coin, although some buddies did find a couple of old coins there years before. I did find hundreds of Fur Trade relics though, and as long as your finding good relics, who cares about coins?

A. Grignon

Oct 9, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT & Whites Beachhunter
I find lots of coins on fur trade sites here in Wisconsin, but the farther North you go I think the less of them they had. Up North was more of the barter system I think.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cleaning your axe should be done with a wire brush, you don't want to go at it really hard, the more you do to it you might damage it. I use a wire wire wheel on my bench grinder, I started use a cloth disk on my hand drill, this method cleans up nice, and for the inside where the handle went, I use a long narrow wire brush, then use a wax. Here is my older axe I found the other day, it was in the same condition as yours. I hope this helps. IMG_1424.jpg

OP
OP
S

straightenarrow

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2012
Wisco
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
That turned out really great! I believe that should be my first method to try, simple no chemicals, no risk! Appreciate the help! all the best!

A. Grignon

Oct 9, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT & Whites Beachhunter
That turned out really great! I believe that should be my first method to try, simple no chemicals, no risk! Appreciate the help! all the best!

Getting out hunting tomorrow straightenoarrow? I will be and hopefully will be finding some stuff like this. :)

Attachments

• DSC03442.JPG
    DSC03442.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 295
OP
OP
S

straightenarrow

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2012
Wisco
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Getting out hunting tomorrow straightenoarrow? I will be and hopefully will be finding some stuff like this. :)

I haven't been out in quite some time! Tough to get out now as I am a avid bowhunter and duck hunter!

copperpile

Aug 25, 2012
Northern Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 fur trade harpoons or smaller muskrat spears that were treated by boiling the in parafin. This is an old method that a retired curator of a Wisconsin museum used back in the day. The parafin seems to leach into artifact and does wonders for preservation as well as it's appearance.

lighterlife

Tenderfoot
Nov 28, 2012
Hi my dad dug this up in his allotment about 10 years ago , I was just wondering if any of you had any idea on age

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121217_215200.png
    ForumRunner_20121217_215200.png
    137.8 KB · Views: 212
  • ForumRunner_20121217_215218.png
    ForumRunner_20121217_215218.png
    163 KB · Views: 201
  • ForumRunner_20121217_215248.png
    ForumRunner_20121217_215248.png
    146.8 KB · Views: 220

GTK96

Jul 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
lighterlife said:
Hi my dad dug this up in his allotment about 10 years ago , I was just wondering if any of you had any idea on age

This may help, sure works for me...

Attachments

• image-2407091392.jpg
    image-2407091392.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 233

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread