Rolled copper hair tubes......Not always!

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

It's been awhile but I'm back with the same user name but a new account.

This is a practice post as I have not posted with the new forum format yet.

Over the years at fur trade sites, I've found several rolled tubes made from kettle scrap that my friends and I assumed were hair tubes.

Here's one I found this year except it was together with something else that adds a different spin on these rolled tubes......

P1100893.JPG

I didn't find this tube on it's own, it was fitted on top of this when I dug the target.......

P1100897.JPG

Totally makes sense as the tube would have been shiny back in the day and it protects the line where it ties to the fish hook.

This is probably a common practice at coastal fishing communities but my find came from a Native camp on the Prairies.

When I took the rolled tube off of the hook, you can see the bright red rust indicating that these two finds were indeed together like I am implying here.

P1100895.JPG

This hook came from undisturbed ground. I consider it an important find not for monetary value but for the historical information it provides.

Always learning something new!

Happy hunting.

Dave.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a rare artifact Muddy. It nice to find the creative pieces that people back then made.

Nice to see your post!!!

Lithophylic

Greenie
Mar 10, 2010
Alabama
Well back then, you could not go to the nearest Walmart for a jig...you made them. I think it would have been very effective.

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
The copper would have been shiny and as we know fish are attracted to shiny things. I have found old homemade ones in yard sales where they just took a short piece of copper pipe and attach hooks to it. I have heard that it was used more during the depression according to my grandpa.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's interesting and you just taught me something. I've found those before and did not know what they were used for. Thanks!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How ya doin Muddy!!I have to check in over here every now and then ,to see how your doin,glad I did thats awesome!!!!These types of relics are my favorite!

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, 7 years later I've came up with another find that identifies a common lead item that is found at trade sites.
A piece of lead that was hammered thin and rolled into a cigar shape has been found though out the years.
My friends find one and I used to tell them that these pieces show up at early fur trade sites and they were identified in a archaeological publication as "fishing weights."
Never seen the application but just assured people that they were homemade fishing weights, as they were ready to toss them away!

Once again, I was in a small oak bluff (across the river from the previous hook) that had nice black soil and was high and dry next to the Red River, up north in fur trade country.
Here she is all complete (wrapped around a Kirby hook) showing it's application.....

P1190191.JPG

P1190195.JPG

It slides up the hook a little but will not come off as it's crimped on tightly.

P1190199.JPG
(top of the hook)

I've found dozens of these rolled lead "cigar" shaped weights and assumed they were line weights but never imagined they went straight onto the hook.
Still learning!!!!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
All new to me , despite having kept an eye out for hooks and rigs of the past in literature.

Thank you for sharing!

Non eyed hooks were snelled at a spaded type shank end.
I don't see that on yours.
Maybe the tied spot was more mid span?

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both of these are very cool...and you're right. Makes complete sense. Thanks for sharing and happy hunting!

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, Dave! I've found a couple of hooks,(non-eyed), but not with lead or copper (brass?) attached.
Thanx for teaching me something new about the "Fur Trade"!

Iowa Dale

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure don’t seem like the flasher for the hook proved not to be a hair tube after all . See, time flies when you’re hunting Beaver!

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you helped me Id another “what is it” at my trade site, I’ve found rolled lead too... also on a bluff near a river... I assumed it was some scrap they were saving to make round balls.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread