Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
Top Quality Artifacts. I was wondering of the disposition of these pieces that you collected over your ten years of collecting such historical

Artifacts of the Fur Trade period. Have you mapped out your sites and recorded your finds for possible further investigation for other

researchers such as Local Historical societies in The Mackinac area in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan ? My next Question is , Did you or are

you considering Donating these Important Artifacts to your local or State run Museums or leaning institutions ?. I also was wondering if in

the future , If a researcher such as my self , could contact you for weight and dimensions of some of your artifacts for research purposes.

Good luck in your Sales .

Last edited:

DiggerNick

Greenie
Jul 2, 2013
Northern Michigan
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is incredible! I live just south of the Bridge and I myself am a fur trapper. This would be a book i would love to have!

OP
OP
bobsphotogallery

bobsphotogallery

Sep 23, 2008
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
New Fur Trade Book

Thank you Hardy for asking those questions! I am no longer in possession of those relics .. Only the photos.. I also feature a few other collector’s items in the book .. But I would be happy to share some information with legitimate researchers …
For the historical organizations , it would seem they are not interested in modern archaeology and using the metallic record to locate or define sites.. This area can be so political and far from easy .. old school thinking seems to believe that these items would be taken out of context … I have found that history is everywhere, it is just a few inches down below our feet.. it may take you days or weeks to locate it and it may be just a old button at first but if you stay focused it will reveal itself to you … some sites are not concentrated .. But spread out over a large area, such as trails.
Here is one of the statements I make in the forward of the book:

“In this book there are photos of items recovered from the Mackinac Straits area. These photos were taken over the course of my ten-year infatuation with French and British relics of the fur trade. Contributions from a number of different collections helped to build this historical photo record. All of the items in this book are of legal origin.”

I thought this fancy photo reference book might be a good way to share and preserve this history with the world.

Top Quality Artifacts. I was wondering of the disposition of these pieces that you collected over your ten years of collecting such historical

Artifacts of the Fur Trade period. Have you mapped out your sites and recorded your finds for possible further investigation for other

researchers such as Local Historical societies in The Mackinac area in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan ? My next Question is , Did you or are

you considering Donating these Important Artifacts to your local or State run Museums or leaning institutions ?. I also was wondering if in

the future , If a researcher such as my self , could contact you for weight and dimensions of some of your artifacts for research purposes.

Good luck in your Sales .

ChargerGuy

Oct 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great book, but I believe the price puts it out of the range most are willing (or able) to spend. I mean no disrespect. It looks very nicely put together and I hope you sell several.

OP
OP
bobsphotogallery

bobsphotogallery

Sep 23, 2008
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Indeed .. I am sure it will be as rare as the items between its covers. Certainly not the average Joe's coffee table book....
Thanks ChargerGuy.. and yes sales are doing well.
I too wish the cost was lower.. but you just can't get a book printed on demand of high quality for less.

Looks like a great book, but I believe the price puts it out of the range most are willing (or able) to spend. I mean no disrespect. It looks very nicely put together and I hope you sell several.

Attachments

• RCC.jpg
    RCC.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 490
OP
OP
bobsphotogallery

bobsphotogallery

Sep 23, 2008
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Guys I just got my first book review ..

I just got this in my inbox and wanted to share it with you ...One always wonders if all their work in a publication is any good from an outside prospective.

" A Pictorial History of Fur Trade Goods: by Robert Bennett

A pictorial book of this type is long overdue and well worth the price.
If you don't own the artifacts, then a good quality photo is the very next best thing.
This book is filled with many hard to find and one of a kind items that can't be seen anyplace else.
What a wonderful photo journey in time through the Michigan fur trade era, and a very good reference book for collectors of trade materials from other area's of the country as well.
I am pleased to add this great pictorial book to my library for reference work and look forward to many years of usefulness and enjoyment. This book will no doubt become a collectable in its own right. A must for the serious collector and researcher of fur trade period materials.
Job well done and thanks for all the hard work!

Now doesn't that make it all worthwhile?!

Regards

Robert

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TomS

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2005
Coeur d'Alene, ID
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II, Minelab Excalibur, Troy Shadow X2, Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Bob,

My wife surprised me with this book for Christmas (well, I pointed her to your Web site)... The book is very, very well done. The photography is exceptional. Thank you for the work you put into this amazing, must-have reference book for anyone interested in the subject matter. It may seem expensive, but for a custom, low-order book full of glossy photos, but I know the cost for such an endeavor. Think of it as an investment just like your metal detector.

Thanks again for an exceptional product!

-Tom

OP
OP
bobsphotogallery

bobsphotogallery

Sep 23, 2008
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bob,

My wife surprised me with this book for Christmas (well, I pointed her to your Web site)... The book is very, very well done. The photography is exceptional. Thank you for the work you put into this amazing, must-have reference book for anyone interested in the subject matter. It may seem expensive, but for a custom, low-order book full of glossy photos, but I know the cost for such an endeavor. Think of it as an investment just like your metal detector.

Thanks again for an exceptional product!

-Tom

Thank you Tom! There will be at least 2 more books to come .. I am glad you were able to get a signed and numbered copy .. there will be no more of those released.
Though the book will still be available until the 1st of May through Blurb if there is anyone else interested in getting one. You can find a link and a nice 35 page preview of the book on my site now . ( whattheyleftbehind dot com )
There is more relics to find out there ... ya just have to look for them!
Warm Regards
Bob

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to tail off on your thread but I noticed an object on your cover and am thinking I may have found something similar a few years back (Cross Village area). Is the one in your pic silver?? IMG_20170429_221534.jpg IMG_20170429_221528.jpg IMG_20170429_221552.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions