• axe1 016[1] 1.1.JPG
    axe1 016[1] 1.1.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 172
Upvote 0

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I looked through many marks. Yours seems unique. Congrats on a nice find. The rust may be built on it. How did you restore it?

OP
OP
leddel

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
this is what it looked like when started the cleaning there are three identicle touch marks on each side of the axe head but were almost impossible to see due to the rust. there were also two other iron tools found with this one and adze and hammer . similar 17th century adzes have been found in some early native american burrial sites and the hammer is almost exactly like a 17th century brick hammer found at Jamestown. this was cleaned very meticulously by hand picking and scraping.

Attachments

• iron trade ax upside down side view 1.JPG
    iron trade ax upside down side view 1.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 139
  • iron trade ax below view 1.JPG
    iron trade ax below view 1.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 142

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you put it in a bath of apple cider vinegar for a month the rust will fall off. Then a few hours in evaporust to stabilise it. Then bake it for a few hours at 200. Then conservators wax. Grinding and picking at it will crack more off than you would want
Works great for me.

Then the marks may show better.

Food for thought anyway.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have done a good job on restoration with the first one to get to the maker marks. I have never seen one cleaned by hand like that. I use slow electrolysis and just keep an eye on it. Hopefully someone will come in with some maker marks…..

OP
OP
leddel

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
here the axe is with the other tools found

Attachments

• axe , hammer and adz 1.JPG
    axe , hammer and adz 1.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 140

rbanders14

Greenie
Jun 19, 2010
Hello Dan,

Page 70 of Firearms, Traps and Tools of the Mountain Men shows a somewhat similar touch mark. At least it has three similar circles. The caption in the book describes it as a french ax. I once had a trade hatchet shaped similar to yours and believed that the shape (missing top edge of blade) was probably due to some particular use to which the ax was put. However I won't even try to guess what that use was. . . . Rod

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread