Native American Campsite Finds (PA)

May 6, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, F75, XLT, SD2200d, Garret Pro Pointer (too many other detectors to count:)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This past summer one day finds at a site I had thought I had worked out. The site was a Native American Campsite in use prior to European Contact and in later Colonial Times was in use from approximately the 1740's to approximately.

Finds were made using a CTX 3030.

Grid spacing on the photos is 1/4" squares.

I really enjoyed finding the "Silver Chain", (don't really know how else to describe it, I have never run across something like this in any reference books). Judging by the workmanship, this piece was probably fabricated by the typical Native American owner (though there were some very accomplished Native American Silversmiths at the time). The triangular pieces aren't identical in size or shape so were more likely individually cut from a piece of silver sheet. I have previously found a couple of pieces of random sized silver with similar "floral" engravings. The links holding the chain together are somewhat crude but the maker probably didn't have access to "real" silversmith tools. The holes in the triangular pieces for the links show a rough edge so how drilling the holes was done is anyone's guess.

I realize these aren't today's finds, but this was the first opportunity I had to post them somewhere other than photobucket.

Hope someone finds the pictures of interest.

Days Finds.JPG Silver Chain.JPG Silver Chain Closeup.JPG

Upvote 0

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is one sweet find. Looks like my kind of site. Hopefully you find a makers mark on the knife when it is restored. Thanks for sharing

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you thinking that the engravings were on the silver before it was cut into the triangles?

bobsphotogallery

Sep 23, 2008
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This past summer one day finds at a site I had thought I had worked out. The site was a Native American Campsite in use prior to European Contact and in later Colonial Times was in use from approximately the 1740's to approximately.

Finds were made using a CTX 3030.

Grid spacing on the photos is 1/4" squares.

I really enjoyed finding the "Silver Chain", (don't really know how else to describe it, I have never run across something like this in any reference books). Judging by the workmanship, this piece was probably fabricated by the typical Native American owner (though there were some very accomplished Native American Silversmiths at the time). The triangular pieces aren't identical in size or shape so were more likely individually cut from a piece of silver sheet. I have previously found a couple of pieces of random sized silver with similar "floral" engravings. The links holding the chain together are somewhat crude but the maker probably didn't have access to "real" silversmith tools. The holes in the triangular pieces for the links show a rough edge so how drilling the holes was done is anyone's guess.

I realize these aren't today's finds, but this was the first opportunity I had to post them somewhere other than photobucket.

Hope someone finds the pictures of interest.

View attachment 932529 View attachment 932530 View attachment 932528

silver.jpg

Nice Fines!...and your dating right... I have seen the silver triangles used in many ways... I have a lot more photos of the reworked silver in my book.
Best Regards
Bob

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are you thinking that the engravings were on the silver before it was cut into the triangles?

I would think so seeing the markings are offset. Clearly an artist of the time worked on this. imo

Steve0

Feb 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI, Minelab excalibur
Very nice and interesting post, I just love the way they reuse the silver, brass and copper.
Thanks for posting

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder what silver object it could have been before it was cut up. Maybe if you took it apart and put the pieces together you could find out,,,but don't take it apart!!! Just leave it as a mystery.

abucooche

Feb 23, 2011
CENTRAL ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
white's mxt pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great stuff you got!! I have several several silver items, but none with designs on them. Cool !! If you have other items, please post a pic, we would love to see anything from this site!

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Likely cut by the natives from armbands, gorgets,brooches, etc. that were made by Montreal, New York, etc. silversmiths..........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread