yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are these puppies fur trade era? If not, how should I date them- or at least identify them? Thanks! Yak

0306141541.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better question: what are the parameters of the Fur Trade Era? And thanks Dasa. Wasn't sure. Do you know of a link for information like manufacturer name/state etc.? Thanks again- Yak

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if one was to frequent e-bay regularly, they would get the idea these pipes were from the fur trade period as there's always listings for these but then so are cow bells, non-dug Dutch coins, modern beads, fantasy pieces, and other unrelated items.

Kinda like harmonica reeds, 3-ringers, and generic sash buckles always being Civil war related even though I find buckets of the stuff far, far away from any battles.

However, I do live in the heart of the fur trade and have a fair amount of experience in this field.

My opinion is that these pipes are too late for what I call the fur trade era. Not to say that some trapper didn't have one in the late 1800's and that certain northern regions still shot musket guns and trapped furs well into the 20th century.

To be more precise, I think these are called "Pamplin" pipes and were manufactured in the late 1800's.

Also, what I would classify as fur trade items would mean companies like the HBC, NWC, etc. would have to carry them in their inventory, thus the term "Trade goods."

Still, they are nice finds! :icon_thumright:

Cheers,
Dave.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find those Yak?

OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for such good, detailed information. Really appreciate it. Yes I did find them all. All northern Delmarva MD. All found in various rivers. I don't go on ebay much. And I know next to nothing about the 'fur trade' culture, so...there's that :dontknow:. A very cool thing to find- and pretty easy to spot too. Again- thanks :lightbulb: Yakker

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, They are not Pamplin pipes. They are from Mogadore Ohio. I dug over 18,000 of these in the late 1960s and 1970s. They date from 1880 to 1900. The company that made Pamplin pipes used the same molds as Mogadore but Pamplin pipes are red clay and Mogadore is salt glazed Ironstone clay. Steve

OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Steve. Finally. ;)

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Yakker, What part of Virginia are you in? I live about 20 miles west of Martinsville. I have over 160 different types of Clay pipes. I started digging and collecting when I was 12, just turned 60.

OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Indian Steve- (sorry for taking so long... moving and all)
I just drove near your area last week- on my way up to Chambersburg, PA. I'm living in Charlottesville and hunting the woods (dumps) and Nelson County (NA artifacts). I'm blown away by your story of digging so many pipes (yikes!) and would love to see your collection some day. I started dump-diving before I was 10. Just re-hung my first find- Quaker State enamel sign the other day... and I just turned 54. Your avatar makes me miss my old Honda VLX-- NOTHING compared to your bike, but better than nuthin. South Dakota rocks on 2 wheels! ;) Happy Thanksgiving- Yakker

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy Thanksgiving to you Yakker, When I was a kid, I lived in Mogadore Ohio. In the 1800s, there were 29 potteries in Mogadore including the pipe factory. Their quality standard was very high. The pipe factory had a 70% to 80% failure rate. I found one of the dumps when I was 12 or 13 and started digging. The trash wagon would pick up the biggest pots first, then smaller would fit inside the big pots and then last stop before the dump was the pipe factory. When digging, we would find large, usually broke crocks, some whole smaller crocks, pie plates, pitchers, etc and piles of pipes. I found huge clusters of pipes glazed together from collapses in the kiln. In 1971, my family moved to Greensboro NC and I brought a little over 5,000 pipes with me. I sold all of them within a year or so and went back and dug more, sold them and went back and dug more over and over. My wife and I actually dug pipes on our honeymoon. I have 46 different types from Mogadore and 120 + from other places. If you get a chance, stop by the SPCA and see my daughter Anna. She is into metal detecting and relic hunting too. She found her first relic in Louisiana at age 15 months! If you are ever near Martinsville , give me a call and come visit. We have a guest room that you are welcome to stay in. I'll take you to some local Indian camp sites. Steve

JRedHorse

Feb 1, 2015
from NH relocating to FL summer 2015
Detector(s) used
I have a Teknetics Gamma 6000 Metal Detector but will be upgrading when I hit FL.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most Plains Native Tribes had little use for pipes as a trade good as we knew how to make our own, we would trade for things that we didn't or couldn't make at the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread