more trade artifacts

CAP

Jun 6, 2003
Hometown USA
Detector(s) used
XLT, ATPro, Tesoro Silver S., White's TM 800, Makro MultiKruzer, XP Deus II, Nokta Pulse Dive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This site gives up it's treasures grudgingly and exacts a toll on your body- difficult hunting terrain.
Starting at eleven o'clock, I feel pretty confident to say that I found my first trade earring, I guess with the ear wire long rusted out. The item to the right of it I have no clue as to what it is. Made of brass or bronze, I groped around to get it in my hands in the forest litter and mistaken it for part of an acorn and pinched it and broke a piece off. I cussed myself for about a minute. It has designs running around it. The horseshoe shaped object looks just like a miniature shoe but upon closer inspection seems to have been broke off on the longer end. Any suggestions on id?
At three o'clock, I can confidently say that is a jaw screw to a flintlock, refer to other pic, I was able to see slot on top and threads at bottom.
The bottom piece is iron and pointed at both ends. At first I thought it was a file that loggers left behind but I thought maybe a leather punch?
On down at five o'clock, this iron, cone shaped object with hole running through it, I don't know what it is.
Then coming on around at seven o'clock, a very much chewed musketball.
Then at nine o'clock, a very much deteriorated iron buckle. What kind of buckle is it?
And of course, dropped and fired balls and buck.
I dug 2 ax heads but are probably 19th or early 20th century, looking much like the ones of today.
But any help on id of the items in question would be appreciated.
Thanks,
CAP

Attachments

• 000_1177.JPG
    000_1177.JPG
    325.4 KB · Views: 242
  • jaw screw ktl.jpg
    jaw screw ktl.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 145
Upvote 0

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice trade ear bob. Sweet find. I believe the piece you cracked is the face of a 2 piece button? Maybe the picture on right is part of a Musket gun. Nice digs!

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
if the screw is made of brass or bronze then it probably goes to a drawer pull rung but if its iron then it
could very be a jaw-screw to a hammer cock.

OP
OP
C

CAP

Jun 6, 2003
Hometown USA
Detector(s) used
XLT, ATPro, Tesoro Silver S., White's TM 800, Makro MultiKruzer, XP Deus II, Nokta Pulse Dive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jaw Screw

if the screw is made of brass or bronze then it probably goes to a drawer pull rung but if its iron then it
could very be a jaw-screw to a hammer cock.
Yes sir, it is iron. I looked at dozens of pictures of jaw screws last week when I found what I thought may be one but did not match up. This one matches. Several musket parts have been found in area.
Thanks

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Jaw screw sure. Bottom of pic an awl perhaps and the horse shoe could be a fire steel. Buckle almost similar to a bess musket sling swivel but not, not sure what straps went with a buckle expanded like that at bottom besides slings.. A shooting bag strap buckle perhaps another guess.

bobsphotogallery

Sep 23, 2008
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here are a few photos from my newly revised book that may help you to understand your artifacts ... it looks like you found a late 1700's site .. on the ear Bob the wires get brittle with movement and break which is the nature of silver. Most likely the part of the buckle came from a shoe buckle see example photo.
Best Regards
Bob

Attachments

• awls.jpg
    awls.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 130
  • bub.jpg
    bub.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 115
  • buf.jpg
    buf.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 126
  • lock.jpg
    lock.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 133
  • P1060322.jpg
    P1060322.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 134

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a bunch of nice colonial artifacts to me.
I bet the musket balls are 69 cal.
Like fired from a Brown bess.
The buckles being iron and not brass could be horse tac..
It also looks like you have part of a hook probably knapsack coat or hat

Last edited:

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could that small 'horse-shoe' actually be a donkey-shoe? Not certain of your area, but they were known to be used, I think... that eye-bob is an amazing find! I'm now reconsidering all the rusty bits I've been too frustrated to figure out- and left in place (but kept all the found French (and other) gun-flints. Yakker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread