beads beads beads !

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
I'd love to have a picture to show but I've never found a bead, despite my best efforts. I've heard of and seen beads found locally but they've eluded me.
Coolest bead I've ever seen was the "Man in the Moon" bead. Are you familiar with that one?

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1972.JPG This is a necklace that I strung up several years ago with Chevrons and White Hearts{red beads}. The chevrons are all six layer including the tiny ones. It gets a bit heavy to wear but worth it on the right occasion.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More Beads

Here are a few more strands of beads. steve

Attachments

• IMG_1985.JPG
    IMG_1985.JPG
    378.7 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1986.JPG
    IMG_1986.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1987.JPG
    IMG_1987.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 190

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1988.JPG IMG_1989.JPG Here is a strand with Chevrons, White Hearts and Kitty Fishers. The point was found in Louisiana in 1985.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More Beads

IMG_1991.JPG . The bracelet has a big green elbow millifiori with two skulls carved out of hickory nuts, 4 bauxite beads and some stripeys . The faceted Russians were found in a junk box at the flea market for $1. There is a strand of watermellons with white hearts and a strand of white hearts. Hope you enjoy. steve

Last edited:

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Strand

The big bead with the sideways S is a dzi bead from Tibet. It is a Money Hook bead. There is also 4 six layer chevrons, 4 green hearts and 4 that I call rattlesnakes on a string that I made from poplar tree bark.

Attachments

• IMG_1990.JPG
    IMG_1990.JPG
    858.8 KB · Views: 193
OP
OP
B

beadman2

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
markdz ...yes i am very familiar with that bead....(the man in the moon) its dates to 1750...there r actually 3 diff variations of that bead ...i have yet to put my hands on one ....hopefully 1 day....they r (very rare)...and indian steve nice beads and not to be rude but i hope you didnt have to give too much for them....im sorry to say although antique i can put a date of late 1800s say 1875 _1900s....i was more refering to 1575 _1750s beads ....venitian ....not any african or hudson bay beads....i dont even deal with them....its so sad to me that people try to pass off the later chevrons as authentic indian beads when once very familiar with beads you can spot the difference from 1575 chevrons to the later chevrons (imposters) from across the room

OP
OP
B

beadman2

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i cant post any pics (dont know how) but.....if you have the book indian trade relics by lar hothem ....you can view many of the beads i have under the beads chapter in that book....under the seneca glass trade beads.....or in indian artifacts magazine 2005 summer edition the green magazine with the pots i believe number 26....under new york beads

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
"....i was more refering to 1575 _1750s beads ....venitian ."

Ahh .now you say so. Verano chevrons or none. 1500's.

Chevrons are not Indian beads till acquired through trade or gifting or other means and were a fragment of beads traded.Too worldwide vs North America a factor also.
Spanish square tube fits your time frame though scarce in the N.E.(due to little Spanish interest in northern area) where your interest in dates would nearly require their access to have come from.
In time farther west the neutral tribe before being overun in fur wars would grind the outer layer of chevrons to expose their more desired red layer. Those if somehow authenticated would be rare.

Thanks for the pics Indian Steve.
A favorite strand here are graduated red hearts.Another is pony beads, red hearts , a half dozen small chevrons and a center silver round bead. Traded off my big chevrons. Too heavy!

Last edited:

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are all beads that I traded for 25 to 35 years ago. I have little or nothing in them. I had lots more but about 15 years ago my daughter started making hemp necklaces and bracelets and raided {with permission} my bead pile. steve

OP
OP
B

beadman2

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup very familiar with the nueva cadiz and everything you said ....been doing this a long time now....both surface hunting and research

OP
OP
B

beadman2

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is my specialty.....the florida bead typology occurs here as well with the exception of a few beads common there being rare here .....and im sure some here r rare there......same time period and same manufacturer

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I have around here are common beads..........

Attachments

• 100_0047-1.jpg
    100_0047-1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 247
OP
OP
B

beadman2

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok finally not to diminish anyone else but lafurtrade .....nice case this is what i wanted to see ....you say common but those r some great artifacts and beads....you have a lot of drilled triangle earrings and i see some r silver .....and i see some jesuit rings what monograms on them if you dont mind me asking ....i see 1 broke glass stone cabachon ring there....does the other one at the top have a glass stone in it?.....very nice stuff!

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok finally not to diminish anyone else but lafurtrade .....nice case this is what i wanted to see ....you say common but those r some great artifacts and beads....you have a lot of drilled triangle earrings and i see some r silver .....and i see some jesuit rings what monograms on them if you dont mind me asking ....i see 1 broke glass stone cabachon ring there....does the other one at the top have a glass stone in it?.....very nice stuff!
Sorry, beadman2.........all rings from here are one's with glass stones. Too late a site for Jesuit. (1760-1825) Some of the rings have part of their stones.

Iowa Dale

OP
OP
B

beadman2

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dont count it out ....ya could find a jesuit

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Fantastic case! There s alot of history in that display, you`re fortunate to have such a good site. Any muskrat spears?
They are my favorite unsung fur trade artifact.

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
I recently bought about 30-40 small beads of many different varieties. Here are some pictures showing representative examples (I put letters on the pics if anyone wanted to comment on anything in particular). I was told they were from a PA site from 1600-1750 or so, but that may not be correct. Any opinions are appreciated.
I should be getting more beads soon and will post them ASAP.

Attachments

• beads0.JPG
    beads0.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 152
  • beads1.JPG
    beads1.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 146
  • beads2.JPG
    beads2.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 152
  • beads3.JPG
    beads3.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 161

Little River Hunter

Jun 25, 2012
I.T.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've only found one bead.... But here's four strands that I bought years ago- original white hearts from Oklahoma, barley corns from Alabama and the two strands of cobalt and clear faceted Bohemian beads are also from Alabama, with the majority of the smaller clear ones coming from Oklahoma.

LRH

Attachments

• Steelyard, beads, specs, percussion tin and mold.JPG
    Steelyard, beads, specs, percussion tin and mold.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 177

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions