One year yesterday I found this in my back yard. Carved ornament mode made from stone

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME!! I wonder if it could of been a map? Someone took the the time to make this for a reason :occasion14:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think its for making ornaments , how they were worn exactly , and out of what metal, I've no clue . I would guess silver.

S

stefen

Sure looks like a repeated post...Where is the link to the original post?

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep I've definitely seen it posted before.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Looked old post up after making comments,doh!

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/420647-mystery-stone-esquagama-lake-3.html

Looks like moulds to pour molten metal.
There was a period of isolation when the French were trying to keep trade going by sandmould casting lead.
If a substitute for soapstone mould making experimentation were desired today ,cuttlefish bone can be tried.
Drilling vent holes/tubes allows flow to narrow or intricate areas like the persons feet in the one pictured.
The lines that are scribed through the rounds would allow some flow as well and they all have them, primitive yet effective type of "gates" connecting areas. Rounds would be separated then possibly drilled through like each was a bead after cooling. If flow could go around though not a good possibility on these,a clay round strip placed in the scribed lines would make drilling easier just by reaming cooked/dried clay out .
Cone shaped areas allowing a sprue to keep mold full and may suggest a flat piece was sandwiched against the carved piece before pouring.
My guesses anyway.

Last edited:

brogansown

May 11, 2015
Eastern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab 4500 and Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Other
Definitely molds. Possibly for pewter or lead and maybe even silver, although I'm not sure that soapstone would hold up to the heat of molten silver. Looks like button molds, but the human figure in Colonial clothing could be for just about anything, even a toy. Rare find indeed.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahh. Reading the article link provided by desertmoons is telling.
The brooches were finished with the connecting "gates" left in place after separating the chain of pieces, to function as crossbars. Clever.
More ornate than a hem weight in design suggests they were exposed,the crossbar could be used to attach brooch to clothing.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One year yesterday I found this in my back yard. Carved ornament mode made fr...

I think they would have used the molds for making beads to make jewelry. Very interesting artifact.

OP
OP
Rocsteddie

Rocsteddie

Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1200533
Definitely molds. Possibly for pewter or lead and maybe even silver, although I'm not sure that soapstone would hold up to the heat of molten silver. Looks like button molds, but the human figure in Colonial clothing could be for just about anything, even a toy. Rare find indeed.

Here's another pic at a little bit different angle that might change your impression of the stone. Now what do you think?

OP
OP
Rocsteddie

Rocsteddie

Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Everything has been reversed

Here we go Glenn. I used some low melting point alloy medal(210 degrees) to form these modes of the human figure and then the full surface carved into the stone. A little nervous trying this but I was confident in doing so after talking to our machinist at TriTec Steel Fabrication Engineering. Quite impressed with the results. Thanks.
Not sure but I think the figure has something in the left hand. Maybe a medicine bag or tool of some sort. JMO View attachment 1202558

Dang! My bad. Should have gave a little info on copper blade. I found this while digging in an old property line dump which had a lot of old discarded farming equipment and auto plates the oldest so far is dated 1921. I am thinking the person who threw it away didn't realize what it was. It is a Old Copper Culture Socketed Knife that is between 3000 and 6000 years old.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rocsteddie

Rocsteddie

Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1167139 View attachment 1167129 View attachment 1166196 View attachment 1166197

One flat piece of soapstone 3"x3" about 1/2 inch thick with carvings on both sides. Been told by many here on Tnet and others that it could be
a couple hundred years old. Found in Northern Minnesota. Nothing else was found with it so I am thinking it may have been dropped by a traveler during the Fur Trade era. Only speculations as to who and why it was made.
The human figure has gotten the most attention because no other carved ornament stone has been found with one on it as far as I know.

Thanks for your interest and time. PS: Posted again for fun and entertainment for newbies.

Yes it is a repost from the original tread named Mystery Stone of Esqugama Lake that I posted in the What Is It forum. Go there to see more pics. and yes I marked it as Solved.
Just to add a little more mystery. These pics of facial features were taken with a 200x USB magnifier. Very skilled and important creator. JMO.
Look down to see medal modes made from human figure side of stone. Hope you find the results as interesting as I have. Pretty darn cool!
look down to see mold. Dang!

JohnnyRelic

Greenie
Jan 11, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro , Treasure Master , MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Its contact period or "fur trade" era. Looks like for making a human form and what I would refer to as a "Fixed Brooch" or "Barbell Brooch". There was a site in Northern Wisconsin where fixed brooches were regularly found, but no mold ever came to light. Here is a picture of what I am talking about. Rounded on one side, flat on the other, from a mold. IMG_0797.JPG IMG_0798.JPG

OP
OP
Rocsteddie

Rocsteddie

Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1314712 View attachment 1314711 View attachment 1275123
Its contact period or "fur trade" era. Looks like for making a human form and what I would refer to as a "Fixed Brooch" or "Barbell Brooch". There was a site in Northern Wisconsin where fixed brooches were regularly found, but no mold ever came to light. Here is a picture of what I am talking about. Rounded on one side, flat on the other, from a mold. View attachment 1274180 View attachment 1274181
Looks like a real close match and I to think that this mold is a Fixed Brooch mold. Thanks for the reply and interest.
View attachment 1314713 View attachment 1314715

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread