FurTrade

Greenie
Jun 14, 2015
Northern Canada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I live on an isolated sub arctic Canadian reserve very close to several abandoned fur trade posts. When it rains hard and large puddles form I go out looking for surface finds - no metal detector. Locals often find clay pipes and square nails. Yesterday I found these two items. I have a feeling they are modern but they were found in an area that has seen no development or repairs in the last 50 years. Any idea what these are? They appear metallic, like lead but have a feeling like stone. They are about the length of a shotgun shell but incredibly heavy. There appear to be no inscriptions or writing on them. They were found right next to two square nails. If not modern, I have a feeling they were bulk lead sent to the post to be melted down for use or trade.

IMG_1296.JPG IMG_1298.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look like clay pipe stems.

Are probably lead masonry anchors.

OP
OP
F

FurTrade

Greenie
Jun 14, 2015
Northern Canada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the observations and suggestions guys. I appreciate it.

Might be trade lead net weights

The post they were found by is right on the river with several docks that were once vibrant places of commerce, last opening at the turn of the century. Today, the modern First Nations community that sprung up around the post rely heavily on fishing for their well-being.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread