Found a little Trade stuff last week.....

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out to a site where I have just found a small amount of Fur Trade stuff in the past years......found the first piece of silver so hunkered down & slowed up & soon started finding tinklers (10), musketballs, & three more pieces of silver........the curled up piece is actually a ring brooch that, for some reason, the indian curled like that? Who knows!
These were all found in a cornfield........Tough hunting!

Iowa Dale

PS: Also found the earlier stone points......

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 279
Upvote 0

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Really nice hunt. Did you find the stone while digging or was that a creek find. Looks like you had a great day thanks for sharing!

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Incredible finds there! Are the triangular pieces pendants? They look silver, but it's hard to tell from you pic!

OP
OP
Ia.FurTrade

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice hunt. Did you find the stone while digging or was that a creek find. Looks like you had a great day thanks for sharing!
Thank's, Glenn! Just found the stone points laying in the cornstalks while detecting.

OP
OP
Ia.FurTrade

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Incredible finds there! Are the triangular pieces pendants? They look silver, but it's hard to tell from you pic!
The triangles were cut by the Indians from Trade Silver gorgets, crosses, and brooches........(more "bang for their buck"). They used them for ear bobs & also hung them in rows (like tinklers) on their clothing.......Bling!

Thanx for the nice comment!
Iowa Dale

Steve Ia

Aug 22, 2010
Nice finds Dale. I know you had to work hard for those in that corn stubble. There are quite a few farmers that are baling the stalks now which helps some.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds and nice to see some stuff from Iowa folks. I grew up some in Ankeny there Jason and my Grandpa grew up in Burlington in the SE part of the state down where your at Ia.FurTrade.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Nice finds, you`re lucky to have a site like that. I have only found one tinkler and it was on a Monongahela site in my area that pre dated contact, 1452 is the latest date for these people. When cleaning it I poked a toothpick inside to get the dirt out and the nicest piece of knotted twisted twine popped out, perfectly preserved by the copper. A museum worker preserved it with some type of glue, so maybe yours might have a fragment inside. All the best in your hunting!

OP
OP
Ia.FurTrade

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, you`re lucky to have a site like that. I have only found one tinkler and it was on a Monongahela site in my area that pre dated contact, 1452 is the latest date for these people. When cleaning it I poked a toothpick inside to get the dirt out and the nicest piece of knotted twisted twine popped out, perfectly preserved by the copper. A museum worker preserved it with some type of glue, so maybe yours might have a fragment inside. All the best in your hunting!
Thanks, Rege! I haven't found any twine left,(because of our acidic black soil), but once in a while have found a trade bead inside ( to keep the knot from pulling thru)......

Iowa Dale

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Interesting, a trade bead inside, that's even better. It would be nice if you could grid and dig the site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread