Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fur trappers in my area? The history books say they were, and I believe
I have found physical evidence that French fur trappers were really here - this 1872 10 Centimes
bronze coin is what I recovered, a couple years ago. (see attached)
The coin was found under the largest tree in the neighborhood!
Anyway, thought you'd enjoy seeing it - one of my better and older coin finds in 8 years! :thumbsup:
bothSides0004.jpg
bothSides0001.jpg

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct in that the fur trade extended into California, however, the Fur trade really "died" out around the 1850's, when the demand for fur by England and Europe declined. By the 1870's,(when the coin was minted) the buffalo that propelled most of the revenue from the Fur trade, were on major decline, and almost on their way to extinction! Tho' in California it was mostly golden beaver and otter that were the most popular to trap. Not saying that the coin wasn't dropped by some one who trapped for a living, but it seems unlikely that it would have been anyone from one of the companies of the Fur trade era, that were made up of many French traders, as most of them were bankrupt by then. (Not trying to discourage you, just sayin') I could be wrong, but have not found anything to otherwise show the Fur trade extended to the 1870's. Definitely think you could find some cool stuff with a little research on the area you are hunting! Don't give up!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread