Something new for me... What is this cut coin?r

abucooche

Feb 23, 2011
CENTRAL ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
white's mxt pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
And few other stuff..... It's amazing I only hunt in one spot and find something new all the time! Any help is appreciated! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472774436.922665.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472774479.442096.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472774522.528598.jpg

Upvote 0

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were coins that were cut or broken to make smaller amounts. I don't remember details..Maybe someone that knows more than I can remember will explain. "pieces of eight" term comes from this type of thing. I only remember a little..:laughing7:

Here's an example of what I'm trying to say.....
Pieces of Eight : The Colonial Williamsburg Official History & Citizenship Site

Awesome find by they way!!!!!!

Last edited:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; CONGRATS, It is a Piece of 8. Spanish Reale that is. That is exactly how they made change way back then.When they needed change they literally cut it out of a Piece of 8 or 8 Reale ok. It is 1700's or older. The Lettering on the front stands for King Phillipi of Spain. That one is in strong Extra Fine Condition. The other guys can date it better by using the Shield Design on the Front ok. Sweet Find. PEACE:RONB.

OP
OP
A

abucooche

Feb 23, 2011
CENTRAL ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
white's mxt pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks barker,..... Wow!!!! It beeped so loud I thought for sure it was a pop top, lol. If you look at ALL my other posts, all my stuff has been found in the same area! Lucky me [emoji4]. Thanks!!!!!

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
You have a great contact site! Especially like the copper/brass trade point. The hole has always interested me as to how it was attached to the shaft.

OP
OP
A

abucooche

Feb 23, 2011
CENTRAL ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
white's mxt pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You have a great contact site! Especially like the copper/brass trade point. The hole has always interested me as to how it was attached to the shaft.

the brass point is the first one that i have found with a hole in it, i assumed it was used as jewelry?? i have tons of brass cut pieces, lots of tinklers...... go look at my other posts as all my finds are trade stuff from the same site, i dig a least 3 times a week:))

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Your point with the hole is the "classic" example of a brass/copper point usually made from some kettle scrap. A text book example to be sure. I hope you find more and some of your larger tinklers may be rolled arrow points as well.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Your coin is called a 'pistareen'. Pistareens were minted in Spain from the late 17th to the early 19th century. Fractional denominations of one half pistareen, worth one real,and one quarter pistareen worth a ½ real, respectively,were also minted. The Spanish Crown never intended pistareens to circulate beyond the borders of mainland, metropolitan Spain. Pistareens have a lower silver content [833.3 fine] than the full-value,internationally esteemed Spanish colonial reales that dominated worldwide trade.
Don,.........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread