French Jetons

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
I would like to know if any of you have ever found or read about the recovery of any type of French jetons. I'm studying a trail from Detroit to the northern Rockies and I'm interested in finding out if the jetons have been lost by the French traders or if they might have been used as trade trinkets. I've read of one, dated 1669 being found at LaGrange, Ill. Do any of you know of any others?

Upvote 0

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
mdog...........The best way to research this would be to look up French archaeology/ Indian sites that had contact with the French and were excavated by the various state archaeological societies or universities. Much of this information is buried in old archives and reports. Good luck!

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
mdog...........The best way to research this would be to look up French archaeology/ Indian sites that had contact with the French and were excavated by the various state archaeological societies or universities. Much of this information is buried in old archives and reports. Good luck!

Thanks Rege. That's good advice and I have been going in that direction. The state archeologists, that I've dealt with, have been as helpful as they can be. You can't get them into the field though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread