What's are your thoughts?

flintlock

Aug 6, 2007
Horned Serpent, Underwater Creature...Indian mythology?

IMG_2223.JPG IMG_2224.JPG IMG_2222.JPG

Upvote 0

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Flintlock........is it lead? Was it found in relation to the others? View of the other side.

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful ring and button! That looks like a dog running, maybe carved lead?

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks to me like a wingless flying pig.

OP
OP
flintlock

flintlock

Aug 6, 2007
Flintlock........is it lead? Was it found in relation to the others? View of the other side.

Bringing into perspective...

The reverse indicates object formed by a poured mold method, material either pewter or lead, with possibly touch mark in torso area but have not cleaned yet.
IMG_2261.JPG

This and many other artifacts found within a Dragoon Camp 1830's, not uncommon for me to locate early military camps with Indians as their guide and in some cases bringing their entire family along for the expedition.
IMG_2262.JPG

Notice the silver ear wheel in center of display, these were all found in a Dragoon Camp 1830's. The underwater creature, finger ring blue stone, silver ear wheel and brass bracelet are all Fur Trade era items found in this camp, the actual age of these will require further study. I will be displaying many of my artifacts at an Indian Artifact Show in Holton Ks. on April the 8th and will ask local experts of their opinions on this very subject.

IMG_2263.JPG

Last edited:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say your blue stone trade ring and the cartouche brass knife handle fragment are a few decades earlier, otherwise most of the finds fit the 1830's era with a few things a little newer.
Not gonna say much on the lead as I've found numerous globs that resemble something but could easily be left as coincidence. :dontknow:
Any designs notched into the wire bracelet? (second photo, last post) Any touch marks on the silver ear wheel?
Really nice grouping you have from that site! Cool military items.
Thanks for sharing them.

OP
OP
flintlock

flintlock

Aug 6, 2007
I'd say your blue stone trade ring and the cartouche brass knife handle fragment are a few decades earlier, otherwise most of the finds fit the 1830's era with a few things a little newer.
Not gonna say much on the lead as I've found numerous globs that resemble something but could easily be left as coincidence. :dontknow:
Any designs notched into the wire bracelet? (second photo, last post) Any touch marks on the silver ear wheel?
Really nice grouping you have from that site! Cool military items.

Thanks for sharing them.

Yes, definitive shape and markings on brass bracelet, have found many over the years. No touch mark on silver ear wheel that I can see, may have worn off over time.

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds! Would need to handle the "serpent" piece to have a chance at identifying.......

Iowa Dale

OP
OP
flintlock

flintlock

Aug 6, 2007
Thanks Dale, will be taking this as well as 24 other display cases and displaying them at the K.A.S. Indian Artifact Show in a couple weeks. Maybe the Archaeologist in my area can provide some historic reference to what I believe this to be a horned sea serpent! Quite a study has been found on Indian Mythology, this is all very interesting to me!

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
flintlock

flintlock

Aug 6, 2007
Flint,
I think you will find this article very interesting.....
Dragon Sideplates from York Factory, A New Twist on an Old Tail | William Fox - Academia.edu
I own the book but was surprised to find it online. The amount of serpent heads (from sideplates) I've found is staggering and always knew they weren't all broken by accident.
Just like Dale said, I'd have to have your lead piece in my hand to fully see what you see.
Cheers,
Dave.

Thank you for the article Dave, I have read this and saved in my favorites. I too have found several dragon side plates broken in the precise manor as the examples given in the article. Interesting to learn there was "religious magic" to increase one's hunting luck. I wonder if the Dragons, Serpents, Underwater Panthers have any correlation with the brass object I found? I will continue to study the mythology on the subject and thanks again for the article, appreciate it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread