AT Pro
AT Max
Racer 2
CORS Fierce coil
CORS Fortune coil
CORS Scout
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Posted this ring on today's finds and found out that it's a fur trade ring dating between 1650-1750 AD. What a wealth of information this site is. Here are a few pics.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491515543.625234.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491515572.262591.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491515598.841901.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491515629.059153.jpg

Upvote 0

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hudson Bay Company (HBC) trade ring, with the glass remaining it's a beauty. Congrats on that great find.

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hudson Bay Company (HBC) trade ring, with the glass remaining it's a beauty. Congrats on that great find.

What was the purpose of these rings? Who wore them, traders or their wives? Was it a way to identify someone that was part of the HBC? Interesting stuff!

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No expert here, but read a bit about this. The Jesuits started this trend by giving copper and silver rings in exchange for religious conversion and sometimes for goods exchange. Much later, the HBC and North West Fur Trade Company would trade rings, beads, musket balls, muskets, blankets, axes, etc, in exchange for fur pelts. The north and east tribes liked very much these ornaments for their women and the men prefered silver as it was worn to chase bad luck, demons and so and also show their status. I believe both companies were fighting for the biggest part of the pie and were trying to find the coolest ornaments and items to please the tribes and ensure long term exchanges.

Last edited:

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whaaaat! Thats very cool.

With a find like this, is it better to leave it in its found condition? Or very carefully clean it up to try and bring out its original beauty?

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whaaaat! Thats very cool.

With a find like this, is it better to leave it in its found condition? Or very carefully clean it up to try and bring out its original beauty?
Personal preferance, I guess........I have left all mine the way I found them. However, I have straightened many pieces of Trade Silver that were damaged by farming equipment, but did not polish them.

Iowa Dale

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions