Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Camp Cameron Composite 1-21-18.JPG Camp Cameron Composite Lesser Items 17'.jpg IMG_6230.JPG
ive been researching these items most of the flat buttons say orange colour on the back one is l and Kendrick so I'm got a date of 1830 ish. some things i still don't know, what gun do i have parts to. is it weird to have a mix of flat and two piece buttons? anybody recognize the pattern on the smaller buttons? and id be happy for any general info from people more knowledgeable than me as well.

Upvote 0

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The item with the long handles in the top left pic looks like a mold that would be used to make round balls .Hot lead would be poured into the molds and after it cooled it would open and the lead balls would be taken out .If the owner was a gun maker he likely had and assortment of parts .No help as far as the buttons

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
a bullet mold tool is pretty neat but no idea on the buttons

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not enough left of the gun parts for me to ID.....Many oddball, cheap, out of date guns were traded to the indians makes it even harder. I concur that your buttons are not much earlier than 1830's. Especially being mixed with two piece. The patterns are common for that time period.....Nice finds!

Iowa Dale

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those steel arrowheads are super rare. Three nice examples. Keep them together. You should do electrolysis to remove rust. Then boil them in wax to remove moisture and seal them. If you don't do this they will likely fall apart. Gary

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was worried really to try anything on them because i was afraid to damage them farther. i found a pocket knife once that i thought i could rescue so i soaked it in apple cider vinegar and the blade turned into swiss cheese. if anything ive thought about a rust converter
i have individual pics of everything for a digital inventory let me know if theres anything worth a closer look
Trade Metal Arrowhead 1 Bottom Camp Cameron.JPG Trade Metal Arrowhead 2 Top Camp Cameron.JPG IMG_6926.JPG
here's a close up of the gun parts if that helps with an id, id love to know what i have bits of.
Flintlock Lock Plate Side A Camp Cameron.JPG Flintlock Main Spring Side A Camp Cameron.JPG Flintlock Trigger Guard Bottom Camp Cameron.JPG Flintlock Trigger Side B Cam Cameron.JPG Ramrod Thimble Side A Camp Cameron.JPG

Attachments

• FLintlock Tumbler Side A Camp Cameron.JPG
    FLintlock Tumbler Side A Camp Cameron.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 157
Last edited:

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You defiantly have parts to a flintlock. i can see trigger guard ,side plate with flash pan, a the main spring. cant recognize the other two pieces but the smaller slightly round thing is probably the tumbler i will call it i cant think of the name right now. yes tumbler is the correct word.

Last edited:

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would not do anything to the points just display them . they are thin and fragile ,cleaning them might make them unrecognizable . keep them dry and the should out last us all.

flintlock

Aug 6, 2007
You've got the makings of an early 19th century Indian Cabin Site, love these artifacts!

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are really careful, you can use apple cider vinegar to remove the rust. But then, as Toddspoint says, you need to seal them. I did this to mine, and here is how it turned out: Jason 115.jpg As thin as they are, you would have to be very vigilant and check every 5-10 minutes to make sure they don't get eaten away. Sawmill man makes a good point, but I personally view rust as an enemy of my artifacts. It can be a hard choice. If anything, you could try to seal them as is, with the rust. At least then you would slow down the oxidizing. IF you did decide to use the vinegar, It will get a black residue all over from the rust being broken down, I then wash it off with chainsaw oil, then heat it up in an oven until the oil drys, then seal it with the wax.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i did use apple cider vinegar on some of the other objects and had mixed results.
Blade Sheath (Near Vine) 1.JPG IMG_6010.JPG
this one which i think may have been a tip to a sheath didn't survive completely
i think ill leave them alone unless i see some rust start to flake off. nice beads, ive found lots of things ive hoped to find but so far ive struck out on beads.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread