Awl?

JohnDee1

Jul 28, 2018
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was metal detecting in my creek, when I found this object maybe 6-7 inches down. It was located in a gravel bar, with huge stones on top of it. Some I had trouble moving. It was very anaerobic soil. At first I thought it was a nail, but both ends are sharp. It is iron I think with a weird black patina, and it is kind’ve bent. I initially posted this on the what is it section, and I received a response telling me it may be a piece of wire. I thought it strange a wire would be so deep and very rigid. Perhaps wishful thinking led me to think the object looked pretty old and alw-like, so I decided to post it here.Thanks for humoring me and my probable wire. FC78688A-3B49-4818-AAD0-F12BF68D68CD.jpeg 243899B4-6494-4EC9-838C-805D0F577243.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JohnDee1

JohnDee1

Jul 28, 2018
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, just an overactive imagination. Please ignore this post. Occam's razor tells me its not. I guess these pipe-dream fueled bursts keep you in the hobby, yet run amok you end up with my eccentric display today.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, at remote fur trade sites from the 18th century, there has been all sorts of awls made from scrap metal, including contemporary wire.
I didn't comment at first because your piece is quite deteriorated and it's an isolated find that would be tough to attribute to the fur trade.
I'm here to tell you that you're not off your rocker and the possibility exists.
Just hard to prove on it's own with no other fur trade artifacts to support the theory.
Keep at it!

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, at remote fur trade sites from the 18th century, there has been all sorts of awls made from scrap metal, including contemporary wire.
I didn't comment at first because your piece is quite deteriorated and it's an isolated find that would be tough to attribute to the fur trade.
I'm here to tell you that you're not off your rocker and the possibility exists.
Just hard to prove on it's own with no other fur trade artifacts to support the theory.
Keep at it!
Excellent answer, MH! My thoughts, exactly!

Iowa Dale

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Keeping an open mind will eventually lead you to some great finds. You will learn to judge them yourself based on location of find, evidence of workmanship and purpose of use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread