Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557923589.889234.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557923624.490897.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557923655.409825.jpg
I found this in a patch of woods that has produced hardly any metal at all, the exception is there is a 1830’s trade site a couple 100 yds from where I found this. There is a large gap between the two areas where I find nothing even on 0 discovery.
My point is these two areas may or may not be related but, in the area I found this ring I have also found two trade awls and a thimble from a northwest gun so I think there’s a chance the ring is trade era.
It looks like it’s got a base metal of copper or something similar with a plating of what I think may be silver because it turned more black after a brief use of naval jelly.
Anybody know anything about trade era rings? Did I find one, is it impossible to say? I’d just love to get some more info on this

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought you'd get an answer here for sure. Kind of the right shape but the plating puts it 1840+ and i don't know if trade goods were ever plated.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply. Sometimes the tnet gods are fickle haha. That’s ok I know it’s a ring and have a strong gut feeling it’s trade era, I’d just feel better about my id with some support from some knowledgeable folks.

I’ve found some similar ones on line that had glass stones, I can’t say if it’s truly plated or just dipped.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1558186514.080834.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1558186530.575400.jpg

where I found it could have been a separate site from my 1830’s site. I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t a good area to stop when the natives went west to hunt buffalo and this new spot was used several years after the 1830’s spot. 1840’s is very much in the realm of native settlement. The area wasn’t opened to white settlement until the 1860’s.

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hadn't answered because the Trade Goods I find stop about 1820. None of my Trade rings appear to have plating. However some are the single stone like yours. I guess I would need the ring in hand to really comment on it....? It certainly could be a Trade ring..........Nice find!

Iowa Dale

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, it hadn’t occurred to me that the trade era has different end dates based on geography I’ll be sure to include location info on future posts. It’s encouraging to know someone has single stone rings.
Does anybody know if they would have dipped rings like they did flat buttons? Because from what I can find the more basic the ring the earlier it is, which suggests this one is early and the northwest gun thimble would also be earlier
So if it wasn’t for the plating issue I’d say I’d be looking at something more in the late 1700’s range not mid 1800’s

Last edited:

beadman2

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glass cabochon trade ring

Thanks, it hadn’t occurred to me that the trade era has different end dates based on geography I’ll be sure to include location info on future posts. It’s encouraging to know someone has single stone rings.
Does anybody know if they would have dipped rings like they did flat buttons? Because from what I can find the more basic the ring the earlier it is, which suggests this one is early and the northwest gun thimble would also be earlier
So if it wasn’t for the plating issue I’d say I’d be looking at something more in the late 1700’s range not mid 1800’s
its definitely a trade ring,appears to be a later version ,similar to what you would find on a 1700s site ,these are known as glass stone trade rings ,yours having a center stone known as a cabochon, because its round...they come in many different glass stone colors and different glass stone configurations, yours being the simple plain single stone cabochon.....refer to michigan ft michilimac etc for reference ,lots of those found in that region ,hope this helps :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always try to stay open to the fact somebody can come along and prove me wrong and that’s ok I want to know what a thing is. I’m not looking for people to tell me what I want to hear.
that said I’m glad to get some great info and input in favor of it being a trade ring I feel comfortable calling it one until proven otherwise thank you for the info it will give me some more avenues to research

beadman2

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your welcome,wish I could tell you more ,but I'm very certain it's a glass stone ring,I wish I could figure out pictures ,I'd show you my trade rings,mine are 1600s&1700s...ny.....,I've seen a lot of those types of rings ,they are all basically the same and could even prob go into the early 1800s....the rarer type is a square princess cut center stone / 2 small round stones to the side ,2 examples have been found in ny that I know of ,mine dated to 1650 for certain,but was missing the glass stones (all of them) which is usually the case,or at least some stones missing...so I sold the band,....I want a complete one with all stones

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe it is a trade ring with stone missing.
Here’s a pic of my trade ring w/o stone

Attachments

• 1D2DEDBB-BE40-49A8-9DB0-8ACBB9D2D8C2.jpeg
    1D2DEDBB-BE40-49A8-9DB0-8ACBB9D2D8C2.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 106

JohnnyRelic

Greenie
Jan 11, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro , Treasure Master , MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is a trade ring. I have one just like it from a 1830's era village site. It is missing the stone...or maybe never had one.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these in the book 20190711_171501.jpg "where two worlds meet", the great Lakes fur trade. 20190711_171610.jpg

beadman2

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They more than likely had the glass stones at one point...that's another unusual square type ,without the side smaller stones,there are a few unusual types of those, but round type being most common,many types of different colored stones though....I had the pleasure to view 2 local rings with glass stones found on a site at geneseo NY dating 1700,both were round bezel no side stones ,amethyst and green in color ,and complete....

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great relic either way that's really cool

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, I should check my thread more often, been heavy into the na artifact hunting lately, once the leaves and crops cover everything and make surface hunting nearly impossible I’ll switch back to the metal detector. I took several scoops of dirt from around the hole and sifted them no glass or gems,
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1567695722.940464.jpg
This is an older find, I didn’t think was a ring just because it was so basic, I found it a couple 100 yards from the first one. I thought maybe it was a band that wrapped around a gun barrel or a handle or something, now I’m thinking its probably a ring too

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it's a trade ring, I have a bunch of them. My favorite is the glass "nipple" ring, I have a couple of those I think. See one up close and the name makes perfect sense.
:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread