Newhouse #5 bear trap

Renegade34

Greenie
Jun 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I also posted this in the "What's it worth" forum as I'm new and didn't see this section until now. Anyways, I found this bear trap and was wondering if anybody could tell me what it's worth, when it was made, or any information on it at all. It's a #5. It has "S. Newhouse Oneida Community" stamped on top of each spring in real small letters. Seems to be in pretty good condition but it has a bullet hole in one spring.

bear trap1.jpg bear trap2.jpg

Upvote 0

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you search ebays completed listings it will give you an idea, looks like it might be worth around 1000. But maybe less with damage. One sold for 2000. Hard to say but definitely worth some bucks. I’ll have to keep my eye out for those. I would put on there if you were to sell it. Nice find!

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an organization called the North American Trap Collectors Association that would likely have some information about your trap The address is PO Box 94 Galloway OH 43119 PH 614-878-6011

OP
OP
R

Renegade34

Greenie
Jun 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an organization called the North American Trap Collectors Association that would likely have some information about your trap The address is PO Box 94 Galloway OH 43119 PH 614-878-6011

I contacted the North American Trap Collector Association as suggested and they were very helpful. They said that the trap was built between 1893-1911 and worth around $800us. He said that if it was made in Canada then it would be worth more as it's more rare. Being up in Canada I suspect that it might be but I haven't had the chance to check for the markings yet. Thanks for the help!

SWINGER1969

May 11, 2019
Morristown,Minnesota
Detector(s) used
garrett at max, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky you . That's a dream find. congrats. looks in good shape, bullet hole adds character. Did you find it detecting?

OP
OP
R

Renegade34

Greenie
Jun 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, my brother bought some farmland and there is several old outbuildings on the property. I found it in one of the old buildings. There's more buildings that haven't been checked out so I'm excited to get back there and see what I can find.

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad the NATCA could give you some info .The early fur trappers had two means of transportation .On foot or horse back and many did not have a place that was home. So they would stash heavy items with the idea of getting them when they came back that way .Of course sooner or later they did not come back. Regardless of how it got there you have a piece of history . The very early fur trappers where often the first pioneers into the wilderness . And their stories are the reason others followed later .Good luck and if you find another I will take it and pay shipping .That really is a great find

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome relic that thing would hurt

OP
OP
R

Renegade34

Greenie
Jun 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad the NATCA could give you some info .The early fur trappers had two means of transportation .On foot or horse back and many did not have a place that was home. So they would stash heavy items with the idea of getting them when they came back that way .Of course sooner or later they did not come back. Regardless of how it got there you have a piece of history . The very early fur trappers where often the first pioneers into the wilderness . And their stories are the reason others followed later .Good luck and if you find another I will take it and pay shipping .That really is a great find

I'm going to spend some more time there and have a better look around. I know there's a lot more old newhouse traps there and a few other buildings that I haven't been in yet. I'll keep my eyes open for another bear trap.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm going to spend some more time there and have a
better look around. I know there's a lot more old newhouse traps there and a few other
buildings that I haven't been in yet. I'll keep my eyes open for another bear trap.

Don't just look for bear traps...any Newhouse or Oneida Community traps will
have good value, again depending on condition.

As for setting that monster, they used a special clamping tool
to compress the springs. Best thing is not to even try, as
mistakes can be costly. budo.gif

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice score. Any updates? I’d rather collect traps than barbed wire. Good luck!

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice score. Any updates? I’d rather collect traps than barbed wire. Good luck!

There are quite a large number of people that are trap collectors .And they collect traps that are mouse size on up through the large bear traps And there are many different companies that made traps that today are very rare because they where in the business for just a short time

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread