Newhouse #5 bear trap
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree15Likes
  • 6 Post By Renegade34
  • 1 Post By diggingthe1
  • 1 Post By Renegade34
  • 1 Post By SWINGER1969
  • 2 Post By glass half fool
  • 1 Post By glass half fool
  • 1 Post By Renegade34
  • 2 Post By DizzyDigger

Thread: Newhouse #5 bear trap

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jun 2019
    12 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Newhouse #5 bear trap

Hi, I also posted this in the "What's it worth" forum as I'm new and didn't see this section until now. Anyways, I found this bear trap and was wondering if anybody could tell me what it's worth, when it was made, or any information on it at all. It's a #5. It has "S. Newhouse Oneida Community" stamped on top of each spring in real small letters. Seems to be in pretty good condition but it has a bullet hole in one spring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bear trap1.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	1722018Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bear trap2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	1722019

Feb 2015
    Victor, CO...City of Mines
    Minelab EQ800, Ex2
    2687 times
    If you search ebays completed listings it will give you an idea, looks like it might be worth around 1000. But maybe less with damage. One sold for 2000. Hard to say but definitely worth some bucks. I’ll have to keep my eye out for those. I would put on there if you were to sell it. Nice find!
    glass half fool likes this.

us
    Jul 2017
    North of the Mason Dixon line
    White 5900DiPro
    751 times
    There is an organization called the North American Trap Collectors Association that would likely have some information about your trap The address is PO Box 94 Galloway OH 43119 PH 614-878-6011

Jun 2019
    12 times
    Thanks! I'll check it out!

Jun 2019
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glass half fool View Post
    There is an organization called the North American Trap Collectors Association that would likely have some information about your trap The address is PO Box 94 Galloway OH 43119 PH 614-878-6011
    I contacted the North American Trap Collector Association as suggested and they were very helpful. They said that the trap was built between 1893-1911 and worth around $800us. He said that if it was made in Canada then it would be worth more as it's more rare. Being up in Canada I suspect that it might be but I haven't had the chance to check for the markings yet. Thanks for the help!
    IAMZIM likes this.

us
    May 2019
    Morristown,Minnesota
    garrett at max, bounty hunter
    366 times
    Lucky you . That's a dream find. congrats. looks in good shape, bullet hole adds character. Did you find it detecting?

Jun 2019
    12 times
    No, my brother bought some farmland and there is several old outbuildings on the property. I found it in one of the old buildings. There's more buildings that haven't been checked out so I'm excited to get back there and see what I can find.

us
    Jul 2017
    White 5900DiPro
    751 times
    I am glad the NATCA could give you some info .The early fur trappers had two means of transportation .On foot or horse back and many did not have a place that was home. So they would stash heavy items with the idea of getting them when they came back that way .Of course sooner or later they did not come back. Regardless of how it got there you have a piece of history . The very early fur trappers where often the first pioneers into the wilderness . And their stories are the reason others followed later .Good luck and if you find another I will take it and pay shipping .That really is a great find
    Last edited by glass half fool; Jul 19, 2019 at 07:05 AM.
    A2coins and DizzyDigger like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    27830 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Awesome relic that thing would hurt

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    Jul 2017
    White 5900DiPro
    751 times
    Not if I had it .It would take more of a man than I to set it
    Ia.FurTrade likes this.

Jun 2019
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glass half fool View Post
    I am glad the NATCA could give you some info .The early fur trappers had two means of transportation .On foot or horse back and many did not have a place that was home. So they would stash heavy items with the idea of getting them when they came back that way .Of course sooner or later they did not come back. Regardless of how it got there you have a piece of history . The very early fur trappers where often the first pioneers into the wilderness . And their stories are the reason others followed later .Good luck and if you find another I will take it and pay shipping .That really is a great find
    I'm going to spend some more time there and have a better look around. I know there's a lot more old newhouse traps there and a few other buildings that I haven't been in yet. I'll keep my eyes open for another bear trap.

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    5863 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade34 View Post
    I'm going to spend some more time there and have a
    better look around. I know there's a lot more old newhouse traps there and a few other
    buildings that I haven't been in yet. I'll keep my eyes open for another bear trap.
    Don't just look for bear traps...any Newhouse or Oneida Community traps will
    have good value, again depending on condition.

As for setting that monster, they used a special clamping tool
    to compress the springs. Best thing is not to even try, as
    mistakes can be costly. Name:  budo.gif
Views: 78
Size:  3.8 KB
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

Sponsored Links