Finds Near Trading Post Site (1794 - 1892)

D-VO

Greenie
Aug 19, 2019
St-Lazare, Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some of my finds from the fur trade era. These were found about 4.5 Miles (as the crow flies) from the historic Hudson's Bay trading post site of Fort Ellice in Southwestern Manitoba, Canada. Sorry if my photo of the artifacts is not great. I will have to find the correct background and lighting in the future.

FurTrade.jpg

EleyLondon.jpg

Arrowhead.jpg

I have found some info about these items

The 3 Eley London shotgun shell caps are from the mid 1800's, the two with no pins were found together and say Eley London GASTIGHT NO. 12. The one with the Pin still intact just says Eley London No. 12.

Found that the piece stamped W Moore & Co. is from some kind of old shotgun. I imagine the other part that was found nearby is from the same gun.

45-75 Rifle Cartridges are for a Winchester Model 1873 that was mainly issued to the Canadian North-West Mounted Police which were definitely present in the area around that time.

The Metal Arrowhead is my favorite find to date. I have no idea how to date this item, I am guessing 1800's for sure. I am also guessing it was an item that would have been traded for at Fort Ellice.

I will hopefully find more interesting items to post. I have probably found enough square nails to build a house LOL.

Upvote 0

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1568200220.980447.jpg
I’ve got one of those. My site it dated to the 1830/40’s. It’s not unreasonable yours is too. Very interesting to see the same point all the way up in Canada, mine was found in se Kansas.
your cartridges and shell bases are later, you’re probably right on those, I think The peters is probably in that 1900-20 range.
I have also found a handful of buttons so it’s another strong hint you have a mid 1800’s component to your spot. Your button looks like a flat button and is a great tool to find a date if you can show how the shank is formed and what else is stamped on it.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1568200670.456450.jpg

Keep looking I’m sure there’s more good stuff

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

D-VO

Greenie
Aug 19, 2019
St-Lazare, Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for the info and reply Older T.B. My button has that same orange marked in but with a bit different pattern. The shank has been bent down or deformed. I will try and take some better photos. Just curios what you are using for a background and lighting to take your pictures? They are perfect.

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
D-VO Congrats on finding some neat items .And it looks like you did a good job with your research .The next thing is get out there and find some more to fill in the blanks

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Which Fort Ellice? The first location was on Beaver Creek, 3 miles east of the Assiniboine River from 1831 to 1863.
Then it was moved to the current site (on top of the hill) shortly after.

Tried to detect the current site years ago for about 5 minutes when this belligerent A-hole came out screaming and swearing F-sharps and chased us out.
I thought it was owned by the town as it had picnic shelters and a grand stand for agricultural events.
Turns out that guy (previous owner) was digging graves up and selling peace medals that he looted and that's why the government expropriated the land a few years ago.

I noticed a date on your post of 1794. Are you thinking about the Shell River fort?

If I had to wager a bet, I would guess your button reads..."Orange Gilt Standard (STANDd) Colour" as that's the most common back mark I find here in Manitoba.

Interesting style of the iron point you have. All of mine (from older sites) do not have that "T-bar" base, just a plain stem.

Those pin - fire shotgun shells are fairly uncommon here and I have only dug a small handful in over 30 years of detecting.

Your off to great start with your detecting and I'm sure you will find some real historic treasures!
P.M. if you want to know more about the sites in your area or any fur trade history in general.
Happy hunting!

Edit# I'm pretty sure the iron piece in the middle is a side plate decoration from a gun. Searched the name and sure enough, W. Moore & Co. (English) made early shot guns.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

D-VO

Greenie
Aug 19, 2019
St-Lazare, Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great reply Muddy, Searching the actual Fort has always been a big NO NO to my knowledge. I am on the opposite side of the valley on a friends land. Just have to figure that people had to camp on their way to trade at the Fort. I will be sure to PM you and chat a bit more!

OP
OP
D

D-VO

Greenie
Aug 19, 2019
St-Lazare, Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As suggested by OTB, I found myself a better background and lighting for my next set of pictures.

Horseshoe (Local figures flat style might be from NW Mounted Police)
3 Prong Fork with STEEL marked on it
I am pretty sure a part from an old balance scale
I have finally included 3 pics of an unknown item. My father thinks it may be the top moving part to open a break or hinge action shotgun?

20190913_010104.jpg
20190913_010112.jpg
20190913_010348.jpg
20190913_010359.jpg
20190913_010327.jpg
20190913_010515.jpg
20190913_010522.jpg
20190913_010539.jpg

Having lots of fun with this new hobby! The search continues!

OP
OP
D

D-VO

Greenie
Aug 19, 2019
St-Lazare, Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out to a few different spots. Found a ton of square nails and a few interesting items.

An interesting J-Hook that looks to be home made. Not sure what it was used for? Any Ideas?
Kids 3 prong fork with the wood still intact on the one side
What I believe is a fired musket ball
Checked out an old 1800's homestead. Lots of junk but did find an old steel file.
As always.... The search continues.......... !!!

JHook1.jpg
JHook2.jpg
KidsFork1.jpg
KidsFork2.jpg
Fired Musket Ball.jpg
OldFile1.jpg
OldFile2.jpg

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out to a few different spots. Found a ton of square nails and a few interesting items.

An interesting J-Hook that looks to be home made. Not sure what it was used for? Any Ideas?

As always.... The search continues.......... !!!

View attachment 1754558
View attachment 1754559

That J-hook looks awfully similar to one that I found recently at a trading post site in Minnesota. See item #4, upper-right

OBFS9sZ.jpg

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! Which Fort Ellice? The first location was on Beaver Creek, 3 miles east of the Assiniboine River from 1831 to 1863.
Then it was moved to the current site (on top of the hill) shortly after.

Tried to detect the current site years ago for about 5 minutes when this belligerent A-hole came out screaming and swearing F-sharps and chased us out.
I thought it was owned by the town as it had picnic shelters and a grand stand for agricultural events.
Turns out that guy (previous owner) was digging graves up and selling peace medals that he looted and that's why the government expropriated the land a few years ago.

I noticed a date on your post of 1794. Are you thinking about the Shell River fort?

If I had to wager a bet, I would guess your button reads..."Orange Gilt Standard (STANDd) Colour" as that's the most common back mark I find here in Manitoba.

Interesting style of the iron point you have. All of mine (from older sites) do not have that "T-bar" base, just a plain stem.

Those pin - fire shotgun shells are fairly uncommon here and I have only dug a small handful in over 30 years of detecting.

Your off to great start with your detecting and I'm sure you will find some real historic treasures!
P.M. if you want to know more about the sites in your area or any fur trade history in general.
Happy hunting!

Edit# I'm pretty sure the iron piece in the middle is a side plate decoration from a gun. Searched the name and sure enough, W. Moore & Co. (English) made early shot guns.

Oh man! Digging up graves is bad juju and would not want to be around when the book of life is opened.

OP
OP
D

D-VO

Greenie
Aug 19, 2019
St-Lazare, Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I totally agree. I am 5 miles from the actual site. At the actual site a group has now come in and clearly marked the graves and the government has put fencing around them.

OP
OP
D

D-VO

Greenie
Aug 19, 2019
St-Lazare, Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Few more items found. Also added to the "What is it" section. Found about 12 miles from the trading post on route to another trading post. The round pieces that have weight like lead but are not soft like lead. One of them has an X or Cross Marked into it and the other has a piece missing from it (no markings) and a clip notched into it. Also found was a 3 ring lead bullet.
The search for more interesting items continues as always. If you have any idea what the round items might be I would be interested.

xround.jpg
xround back.jpg
clippedround.jpg
3ringlead .jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread