Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Awl , It’s been along time since I have posted , took me a while to get back to the Camp. Here’s a find that could challenge your research skills on a boring night when your woman has a headache or you are just tired of skinning Beavers. It’s a fur trade piece that is rare and had me puzzled for a day or so. Can you figure this one out ?? Muddyhandz can’t reply as he knows the answer, he held me at gun point. You may need to tap the photo’s to zoom in to reorientate the picture sideways

Attachments

• 08048472-D36A-4218-B2E0-207E36E65CA2.jpeg
    08048472-D36A-4218-B2E0-207E36E65CA2.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 164
  • 7D20AEEA-D3CC-49FC-998F-0FAAB1A70A75.jpeg
    7D20AEEA-D3CC-49FC-998F-0FAAB1A70A75.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never get tired of skinning beaver. :headbang:
Nice find and interesting how it ended up out here!

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I don’t know but I’d like to learn more about fur trade items so I can understand my site better I’ve got kinda similar items, but plain perforated iron strips. I don’t know what they were for... probably totally different but similar looking
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1575726220.785830.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hardy

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah, those darn “WHATS ITS” , I have to tell you that I got a few buckets of mystery pieces that could be parts of brackets or or something similar. Problem is that if you toss them out, you may find a piece that they once belonged to . Have you found much kettle metal and clipped copper or a file at your site?

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes kettle metal, yes clipped copper, no files, along with 4 trade points. 3 iron, one copper/brass, and a saw that was recently debated on this site
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1576069057.993775.jpg
... oh and I forgot till just now this, I’m guessing a hanger. I forgot it had holes punched in it too and clearly modified
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1576068343.379526.jpg
... also other diagnostic things, gun parts, flat buttons, tobacco pipe fragments, round balls, awls, stone arrowheads, flakes, a bullet mold, and some rings.
Sorry if this post is taking a hard turn my intent was to learn more about your thing not hijack your thread haha.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hardy

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
I found saw blades like yours in the past, and Muddy found examples also. What you presume is a hanger part could possibly be a crude hanger that broke while being used. One thing I have learned over the years is anything is possible when dealing with retooled fur trade implements, you need a saw and have a piece of copper and a file and soon you got a home made Saw. Don’t let others de value your finds as insignificant, as these finds help to shed lite on the story of your site. Cheers bud

OP
OP
Hardy

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
The item that I entered on this post “ Rare find from the 1700’S” is a shipping label from the East India Company. Chances are it was sent inland via freighter Canoe affixed to a box containing spices for a Trading Post . The East India Co would then load up with Pelts destined for China with the pelts supplied by the Hudsons Bay Company. There was a two year period starting around 1784 and 85 that the East India company shipped furs for the North West Company.

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The item that I entered on this post “ Rare find from the 1700’S” is a shipping label from the East India Company. Chances are it was sent inland via freighter Canoe affixed to a box containing spices for a Trading Post . The East India Co would then load up with Pelts destined for China with the pelts supplied by the Hudsons Bay Company. There was a two year period starting around 1784 and 85 that the East India company shipped furs for the North West Company.
I'd never seen one of those down here, Hardy...........but then, I believe most I find is from the North West Co. during that same period..........

Iowa Dale

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread