Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice stuff!! Could we see some close-up's of individual pieces?
Thanx!

Iowa Dale

OP
OP
B

Beadman

Oct 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is all I got for now

Attachments

• IMG_20200319_194251085.jpg
    IMG_20200319_194251085.jpg
    719.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20200319_194416471.jpg
    IMG_20200319_194416471.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 116
OP
OP
B

Beadman

Oct 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah some of this is rare,took me a very long time to find it,the silver cross was found by bob Bennett,in michigan

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx, Beadman! Love those Jesuit rings! I find Trade rings, but no Jesuit rings on my sites..... :BangHead:

Iowa Dale

OP
OP
B

Beadman

Oct 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem, actually there is much debate as to actual "Jesuit rings"...all rings were trade rings,...and traded,...it's safe to say that if you have an actual "mission" at the site,...and that site produces "secular" type motif rings....they would be more tied to any "Jesuit" relations:thumbsup:

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem, actually there is much debate as to actual "Jesuit rings"...all rings were trade rings,...and traded,...it's safe to say that if you have an actual "mission" at the site,...and that site produces "secular" type motif rings....they would be more tied to any "Jesuit" relations:thumbsup:
I agree with you completely!

Iowa Dale

OP
OP
B

Beadman

Oct 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know some peeps on here probably have the silver crosses or double bar "cross of Lorraine" with stamped silver Smith marks,....Wich are getting extremely rare ,....but so are any nice complete larger "authentic" brass crosses & rare shaped medals,....I grade them just like a coin,...some of these are illegable and not worth collecting,...but "PROVENANCE" is the most important part,otherwise you don't know what you really have,...rings are getting there but are still fairly common

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve noticed with the few rings I’ve found, and looking at your picture that they are quite small. Anybody know why? I would bet it’s not because Indians had small hands

OP
OP
B

Beadman

Oct 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually yes,very simple answer ....the rings were sized accordingly,just as we do today ...so....some were children's rings,women's rings & men's rings....hope that helps answer your ?

OP
OP
B

Beadman

Oct 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also some rings were given as gifts to the children at communion,(at the mission sites) so some rings were specifically made & intended for trade with all this in mind..

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure does, the sizing makes sense but I guess I kind of figured with European attitudes towards natives and money they wouldn’t really care if a ring fit, more of a “this is what I make take it or leave it” attitude. Sounds like I didn’t give them enough credit in recognizing customer satisfaction is important for doing business.

So my small rings indicate the presence of women and children at my site. Not groundbreaking revelation but a nice little piece of the puzzle. Also there is a mission a few miles away still standing, could very possibly came from there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beadman

Oct 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure they were made for general sizing....small(children... medium (women)...large(men)....was obviously impossible to size a specific finger ....yes I think it's safe to say there was definitely women & children at your site since most native cultures practiced a matriarch society....it definitely was not all men....a mission site "close by" would be a great indicator...

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for filling me in. I guess it might help to explain. Being on the fringe between village and buffalo hunting grounds I wasn’t sure if my site was a place they stayed a while or just a good place to stop while headed farther west to hunt. At first I wasn’t even sure if it wasn’t all from just one person, who may have died or been buried on the bluff. The small rings helps confirm that a group probably was staying in the area as opposed to a hunting party or a single individual.
Thanks for sharing I’m trying to learn everything I can about the trade era. Seeing what others have found helps me make connections and maybe some id’s.

Last edited:

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds!!!

OP
OP
B

Beadman

Oct 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you...ecentric in Texas....checked out ur you tube link ,thanks .. neat investigating your doing,keep up the good work!.... especially loved the gold panning ,maybe one of these days I'll try my hand at that ,I think I know a few spots that could yield some shiny stuff,never know:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread